Dro Choice?

Have used both glass and magnetic scales, just installed a 4 axis EL700 with magnetic scales. Never had an issue with glass scales, always have been reliable and accurate. So either type should work well, as noted, magnetic scales are easier to install and should be less prone to contamination problems. Some of the Sino DROs can behave strangely, like revert to metric when turned on and have more flutter in the display (an issue with the filter and number of digits displayed). On the lathe, simple works just fine in most cases. Some vendors are better than others if you have an issue/problem and then communicating can be an issue.

Some DROs are universal, so for a lathe there may be a lot of function keys you do not need. Others either use graphical interface with soft keys or are machine specific. DRO Pros do a good job on their kits and support, the DROs offered are main stream and I have used both Easson and Electronica EL models. You pay a bit more, you get a better warranty and service with these units. I would look at the Easson 8A or 2L (ES15) with glass scales as a middle of the road approach, I use the ES-12 on my lathe because I prefer the graphical display (easier on my eyes) and the soft keys. This is now the ES-12C sold by DRO Pros. As much as I like the magnetic scales, they charge a premium and they should be cheaper then glass. They are easier to install, more compact and can be trimmed to size. It is a matter of preference. but a pretty steep price premium.

There are a number of interface modules to work with Android or a computer interface, in the end there isn't much savings and if using Igaging scales, they do not have the resolution of glass or magnetic. You want a 5 micron for the carriage, a 1 micron for the cross slide. I personally try to support US suppliers that provide quality and service, rather than send my money offshore, but it is a factor of costs/budget.

I have a 4-axis TPACtools.com on my mill and a 2-axis TPACTOOL on one of my lathes. I believe they are both mTech units with glass scales. Cost about $500 and $400 respectively. Very happy with TPACTOOLs.

Bruce

(Dusting this thread off so as to not clutter up the forum with another DRO posting.)

Has anyone bought an import set lately?
I was looking through Aliexpress & eBay yesterday still trying to make a decision for my BP.
Sold off my vintage transit collection in an attempt to fill the holes in the budget.

Doesn't seem like Ditron is on Aliexpress now-a-days.
I was still leaning towards buying three scales and then tie them into TouchDRO but prices seem to have
come down a bit more and I was wondering if anyone has any current experiences with any.

There's a bottom rung 5μm set from Siton listed for $238.00 $340.00 now w/free shipping. 1μm upgrade looks to be $18/scale.
The Rational Precision Instrument, WE6800E 5μm, that DAT510 mentions above looks to have very decent scales.
Siton and Aston have a 3-axis set going for ~$405 w/free shipping.
The scales and the heads on the WE6800E really appear to be 'heftier'.
Need to try to dig and see if there's any tech info out there for them.

Seems that purchasing just three scales alone would be around $260-$300+
I haven't seen the Rational scales sold separately... EDIT: Siton does have them. In 1μm & 5μm. Just stumbled on them.
2nd Edit: Whoa - Price at Siton for the 3 axis kit jumped from $238.00 to $340.00 as of midnight EDT Sunday.

Last edited:
Price at Siton for the 3 axis kit jumped from $238.00 to $340.00 as of midnight EDT Sunday.

I ordered a 3 axis from them 5 days ago. Price was $340.00 ...before I could get a credit card to work to pay they had adjusted the price down to $237.00... I informed them I wanted 1um scales and they adjusted the price to $291.69 including shipping.
I bought a 2 axis from them feb 16th and upgraded to 1um scales price was $234.09 including shipping. Took 8 days to arrive.
Looks like the 3 axis will take longer as they just shipped. Maybe they had to wait on a part of it.

Thank you Russ, I thought I was hallucinating. I'm going to start grabbing screen captures. :grin:
I'll have to contact them and see what's-what.
I had discussed it with the Better-Half, and brought it up before we went bed and it had jumped.

I've used two different brands of DRO/scales: cheap no-name Chinese made, and DroPro's EL400 w/magnetic scales on my big bench top mill/drill which I later transplanted to my Bridgeport.

The Chinese system was terrible unreliable.

The DroPro system has been completely reliable, and a pleasure to use.

When I install a DRO on my lathe it will be the DroPro system with magnetic scales again.

And, as stated previously, your Monarch deserves a nice DRO.

I've used two different brands of DRO/scales: cheap no-name Chinese made, and DroPro's EL400 w/magnetic scales on my big bench top mill/drill which I later transplanted to my Bridgeport.

The Chinese system was terrible unreliable.

The DroPro system has been completely reliable, and a pleasure to use.

When I install a DRO on my lathe it will be the DroPro system with magnetic scales again.

And, as stated previously, your Monarch deserves a nice DRO.

Which model of display readout did your import one use?

Back