Dro Choice?

Siton is back down to $238.00 (w/ free shipping) at midnight Thursday/Friday...

"Which model of display readout did your import one use?"

Dunno, it didn't have a brand, that's why I called it a "no-name".

It wasn't the DRO head that caused any trouble as I recall, it was always the cheap Chinese scales. They would either malfunction/die, or the batteries were usually dead every time I went to use them.

How long do you expect a tool to last? 1 year, 5 years or 15 years?
Buy accordingly.

I have a 4-axis TPACtools.com on my mill and a 2-axis TPACTOOL on one of my lathes. I believe they are both mTech units with glass scales. Cost about $500 and $400 respectively. Very happy with TPACTOOLs.

Bruce
I have TPACTools DROs on both my mill and lathe and have been very happy with them.

Does anybody here on Hobby Machinist really think a 1 micron (.000039") scale in lieu of a 5 micron (.0002") scale is going to make a noticeable difference in the work their milling machine turns out? On a surface grinder I could perhaps see one on the Y (vertical) axis only... Perhaps also on the X (cross slide) axis only of a top tier lathe operated by a real pro accustomed to doing that class of work... On a milling machine I can only see it slowing you down or for showing off (gee, whiz!)

I sure like 1 micron scales for cross slide of lathe, and it is noticeable and makes a difference in my holding tight tolerances. On a mill it would be a waste, but a Moore jig borer, I have run one with 1 micron scales on x and y and it was a joy, and possible to hold tolerances on light cuts that were in the realm of 1 tenth, better than I can do on a BP with 5 micron scales.

I sure like 1 micron scales for cross slide of lathe, and it is noticeable and makes a difference in my holding tight tolerances. On a mill it would be a waste, but a Moore jig borer, I have run one with 1 micron scales on x and y and it was a joy, and possible to hold tolerances on light cuts that were in the realm of 1 tenth, better than I can do on a BP with 5 micron scales.
On a Moore jig borer or jig grinder, for sure!

Does anybody here on Hobby Machinist really think a 1 micron (.000039") scale in lieu of a 5 micron (.0002") scale is going to make a noticeable difference in the work their milling machine turns out?

For the $18.00 extra charge I sure wouldn't order it any other way. Resolution is settable on the display if you don't want that many numbers flashing by.
Then if the unit gets moved to a grinder the 1um ability is there just by resetting the resolution.
I have 5um on my mill....guess it's staying with it.

For the $18.00 extra charge I sure wouldn't order it any other way. Resolution is settable on the display if you don't want that many numbers flashing by.
Then if the unit gets moved to a grinder the 1um ability is there just by resetting the resolution.
I have 5um on my mill....guess it's staying with it.
Your choice, of course, Russ. I would rather keep the $18 (times three axes = $54) to be put to work somewhere more useful...

The resolution setting on DROs is not for changing how many digits it shows. The DRO will still show 4 digits after the decimal for imperial. The reolution setting must be set according to which resolution scale you have.

If you have 5um scale you set it to 5um. You would not set the DRO to 1um if you have a 5um scale, it does not work that way.

I did put a 1um scale on my cross slide only, not cause I need it or think I can hit those kind of tolerances but only cause it helps when using the DRO in diameter mode as said.

The scales on my Z axis as well as all 3 axes on my mill are all 5um. 1um is not worth the extra cost to have on all those axes as it's not needed. As said, IMO it will just cause anyone with OCD (like me) to just waste time chasing numbers.

Back