Drill Press and drill bit question.

Joe Pieczynski has a series on YouTube of machining a Miniture Engine Lathe. The holes he is drill are extremely small. He has gone over the process of center drilling and drilling 2mm and smaller holes. It would be a good one to check out. I think you might save yourself a lot of hard lesson learning.

This is just one episode from the series. You may have to take a look through a couple of them to find some of the details but very interesting watch.

As others have stated, what you are looking for is called a Sensitive Drill Press. They are capable of the speed, control and delicate feed that are needed for drills that small. They are not cheap, but nothing in this field is.

Wow... you're right, that isn't cheap.

I won't be able to get the Dumore drill. Living in Australia puts a lot of US goods beyond my reach. I may try a Proxxon drill if I can'tcome up with a satisfactory alternative. Here are the specs of the one I'm thinking about:

Technical specifications:

• speeds: 1080rpm, 2400rpm, 4500rpm
  • quill travel: 63mm
  • headstock travel: 70mm (via crank)
  • throat: 140mm
  • maximum drill size: 10mm
  • usable table size: 200mm x 200mm
  • column height: 500mm

Proxxon Drill at Hobbytools Australia

I have used a Dremel tool and dipping the drill bit in cutting oil as you drill into the parts , and take your time.

Back