Drill charts

Stopped at hobby lobby yesterday and picked up a frame. I would normally make my own (been a woodworker for 30 yrs) but for $35 it wouldn't be worth my time. Just need to hang it up today.

IMG_20170128_084445443.jpg

As many have said, Starrett does send them out for free. I order from them at least once a year to pass out to my students as well as the area high school teachers. I normally order a wall chart or two with all of the "pocket" ones. They also have small scratch / note pads, Starrett Story, and a booklet on measurement.

I picked some up at IMTS last fall that Haas was passing out that are magnetic that stick on the side of your toolbox.

another item the salesmen use to hand out that isn't given anymore are those handy pocket trig books. I still have 2 of them. One is kind of ragged from use but the other one is like new.

another item the salesmen use to hand out that isn't given anymore are those handy pocket trig books. I still have 2 of them. One is kind of ragged from use but the other one is like new.
Carr Lane still has them, or at least last fall they did.

I know Carr Lane sells them but I remember when all the salesmen used to just hand them out.

Guess it could be since we give them to students that we get them for free?

where the heck do you find drill/tap charts? I've seen on many occasions in the various shops and factories I've worked in, the old mechanics have shop walls littered with promotional charts and various other posters. Where does one find these nice charts? I could just print something out.... but that's boring...

Also, who has a good reference for thread depth per pitch? What's the math involved with figuring out the depths of various threads? Is that available in easy reference charts as well?

All drill and tap charts I have found use the same format. People are used to it and it has certainly stood the test of time. My problem with this format is the time it takes me to locate the correct drill size given a desired diameter. For example, if I want to get as close as possible to 0.134", I must scan down the correct column of decimal equivalents until I find a number below and above my target. An alternate (not saying better) way can be borrowed from Computer Science. Arrange the drill sizes in rows and columns by their significant digit. The first digit (0.0 through 0.4 in my case) are my five columns. Then groups of rows are labeled with the second significant digit (0 through 9). So to find the closest value to 0.134", I first find the column marked 0.1. Then I find the block of rows marked 3. Within the intersection is a block of numbers starting with 0.13. In this case, only 0.136 shows. Adjacent to this number is "29T8-32" which means this is a number drill 29 and is also used to cut a tap hole for 8-32.

To see the actual tables in both Imperial and Metric, go to http://rick.sparber.org/ma.htm#8 and find the block of spreadsheet files marked look up tables.

Rick

Back