Drill bits and tolerances

Here is my 97 piece twist start nail assortment.To use, insert in power drill, use high speed and preferably hammer, burn onto wood, remove from chuck leaving bit in wood, drive home with claw hammer. This set of drills was on special at our local large hardware chain for the princely sum of $20, marked down from $50. Could not get the macro working so no close up's of the off centre, poor or wrong relief sharpening or bent drills, Might buy more if the price drops to $10 or less as the metal box is quite good.
John.

IMG_0282a.jpg

visenfile: It isn't that the Chinese or the Russians can't do good work,and make guided missiles,space stations,etc.. It's what they are willing to sell you for cheap import prices!:)

Usually when I'm using drills I size it by eyeball so no mine aren't even out a .001". ;) The last 3 boxes from HF has been sharpened a mile off center tho. I don't count on it cutting the size it says anyway. Your hole will almost always be biger then your bit. Except for last week I still can't figure out what happened but after getting all the way through the hole the work clamped down on it & I had to drive the bit out. I then took the reamer the same index size as the drill I was using & it cleaned the hole up pretty smoth. Go figure. I was turning that gummy rolled stock you get from the hardware & I assume it heated & expanded then cooled once the drill was through the 4" ish hole.

I bought a 29 piece set of Black and Decker drills at Walmart and they have been great. Paid $30 for them. I have a couple of those ten dollar Warrior sets from HF and I must say, after sharpening, they have been great also. That being said, I sharpen all the cheap drills before using them because the conical grind is never on center. They are not accurately sharpened. If the grind is off center the hole will be oversize. I grind them with a four facet grind which eliminates the chisel point so they don't walk and they drill a clean on size hole. Once they have a precision grind they work great. I can drill a 1/4" hole and it is darn close to a reamed hole in quality. I have been using the same two sets for the last year and most of you know from the projects I have built I drill a lot of holes and they are still going strong. I have had to resharpen a few but with proper care and a good grind, even cheaper drills are good and last.

It is also important to use them properly. If you throw a bit in the drill press and just punch holes, you are going to be disappointed. I always start with a smaller drill and work up to a larger drill. Your holes will be smoother, more on size and round. I also always use a good clear cutting oil when drilling. The drills cut better, easier and last longer between sharpenings. I also run them at their proper speed for best cutting . I get bottles of Oatley clear cutting oil from Amazon for $2.77 a bottle (16 oz) as an add on item when I order something. It is great for drilling. I keep a half dozen bottles all the time.
BUT this is only MY opinion.

I bought a big bit & drill set from Walmart years ago. They were black oxcide B&D. Absulote worst drills I have ever seen. They breake taking them out of the box. I don't think I ever did get the first hole drilled with them. The bits were OK but a little to hard.

I bought a big bit & drill set from Walmart years ago. They were black oxcide B&D. Absulote worst drills I have ever seen. They breake taking them out of the box. I don't think I ever did get the first hole drilled with them. The bits were OK but a little to hard.

I never buy black drill bits . I always get bright shiny or the Tin yellow coated.

When I need a replacement bit , I buy them individually from McMaster Carr. They are good bits and not expensive.

Back