Drill Bit Stuck

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an Albrecht drill chuck and my bit is stuck. I was just doing normal drilling using a 29/64.
What do I do?

Stuck as in you can't loosen it? This has happened to me a couple of times when using S&D drills. Does it not have holes on the body so you can use a spanner wrench (pin type) to loosen it? I don't have an Albrecht so I'm not sure but my Bison & Glacern keyless chucks have the holes on them.

No holes.
S&D are the reduced shank size drills?
If I had a strap wrench I'd try that.

I see, maybe the Albrecht owner knows a solution so you don't have to resort to using Channel Locks to get it loose. The strap wrench is definitely worth a try. But if you don't have one, you might get lucky using on old leather belt as a makeshift strap wrench.

Yes, the reduced shank bits. It happened to me a couple of times when using a 1" S&D.

Take a piece of copper place on the chuck jaws of your lathe tighten the knurled section but not over tight with another chuck in your tailstock grip the drill bit or the other end of the Albrecht chuck . Use your adjustable wrench to turn the lathe chuck to loosen the Albrecht chuck.

I've had that happen with my chineese knockoff. It has holes for a spanner.
A strap wrench is your best bet. Don't panic. You will get it out. your bit is probably hot now too, so when it cools, it will help to relieve some of the grip. These chucks self tighten so every bit of cooling will help. Then lock your quill, and put the strap wrench on . a few quick hits will help

Thanks,
I'll give that a try.

Back