Drill Bit Stuck

If all else fails, pull the chuck out of the quill and remove the collar. Lock the body in a vise using a V-block and use a strap wrench to loosen the chuck.

Deleted in the interest of not passing on incorrect information... :(

Last edited:
My understanding is that the drill bit is intended to be bottomed out in an Albrecht chuck. As the spindle moves up and the jaws close, the bit is supported underneath and on three sides. This aids in solidity and accuracy. The only time I don't bottom a bit is when using a center drill; this is so I don't dull the point that is sitting inside the chuck.

When using a big drill, especially a S&D drill, I change to a Jacobs Super Chuck - it grabs more securely and I don't ever have a jam.

Protector shim (copper) and pipe wrench, channel locks, etc. Whack it w a compothane dead blow or similar

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have used channel locks and pipe wrenches but I wrap the part I am going to put it on with a rag or preferably a piece of leather. Don

Leather a good idea....anything to protect the piece ( in this case the chuck)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Anything that vibrates will make the chuck tighter like an impact wrench.

Just get some small blocks of wood or an old belt and wrap around the outside then grab with whatever you have while drill is in lowest rpm configuration and give it a snap action and it should come loose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

TQ60. Thanks for jogging the memory.
That is exactly what happened I bet. I remember now that I got a bunch of chatter at first. It went away as soon as I started putting pressure on the piece but I bet it was enough to tighten it up.
Was 12L14 I was at 900 rpm.

Back