Draw bar issues on PM833TV

The tolerances on my spline wrench are so good it's a pain in the a@@ to use

Machinist should always have some files on hand. Just think, John M. Moses (really his brother) built firearms, that have still not been superseded, by hand.

Machinist should always have some files on hand. Just think, John M. Moses (really his brother) built firearms, that have still not been superseded, by hand.
Heh, I have a drawer full of sharp files and stones. I'm lazy, however.

Well if you don't want to make the spindle wrench fit, I hope you have a drill chuck with a key and not hand operated. Providing a backup to tighten and loosen the drill chuck is the majority of what I use one for.

Well if you don't want to make the spindle wrench fit, I hope you have a drill chuck with a key and not hand operated. Providing a backup to tighten and loosen the drill chuck is the majority of what I use one for.

Yeah, my chucks require a spanner. I'll work on filing out the spindle wrench a bit so it's less miserable to use.

With a strong impact you don't need to hold the bar so the wrench is unnecessary. I ran an air hose from my compressor to the top of the mill.
I am also using a small impact driver to tighten and release the drawbar on the PM833T. I find that in most of the cases I need to also hit on the hex head of the drawbar to release the R8 collet. Am I the only one having this experience or is it universal?

I started to build a pneumatic drawbar PDB with a butterfly impact driver but I am afraid that it will not release the R8 collet. Interested to know of others experience before I continue with the build.

Ariel

I am also using a small impact driver to tighten and release the drawbar on the PM833T. I find that in most of the cases I need to also hit on the hex head of the drawbar to release the R8 collet. Am I the only one having this experience or is it universal?

I started to build a pneumatic drawbar PDB with a butterfly impact driver but I am afraid that it will not release the R8 collet. Interested to know of others experience before I continue with the build.

Ariel
The jolts of the impact driver combined with downward pressure jostle the R8 collet loose. If you want an excellent design example for DIY, check out this system (most compact and elegant design I have seen - this is the end of a series - skip to 35:45 to get an idea of the finished design):

I find that in most of the cases I need to also hit on the hex head of the drawbar to release the R8 collet. Am I the only one having this experience or is it universal?

Mine does the same. I keep a small, plastic deadblow by the mill for that purpose.

I tried that. It worked but it takes longer than a small butterfly impact.

Back