Draw bar issues on PM833TV

LVLAaron

Registered
Registered
My 833TV doesn't have flats on the spindle. So tightening the draw bar is a complicated matter. I do have the black wrench to keep the shaft from spinning, but it only slides over the draw bar if the draw bar is is in the exact right spot - and can't be used at all with my fancy shims in there. The shims are less of a problem, I can make smaller ones... but the overall problem / question remains. What do?

22-03-02 15-45-23 7102.jpg
22-03-02 15-45-29 7103.jpg

I think I found a spline wrench on Amazon or somewhere that fit mine. But, about the same time, I started using a small butterfly impact to change tooling so I don't need to worry about holding the far to tighten/loosen. It's very quick and easy. I'd look into that if I were you.

I think I found a spline wrench on Amazon or somewhere that fit mine. But, about the same time, I started using a small butterfly impact to change tooling so I don't need to worry about holding the far to tighten/loosen. It's very quick and easy. I'd look into that if I were you.

I've been using a small 12v impact on mine as well. The tolerances on my spline wrench are so good it's a pain in the a@@ to use

With a strong impact you don't need to hold the bar so the wrench is unnecessary. I ran an air hose from my compressor to the top of the mill.

With a strong impact you don't need to hold the bar so the wrench is unnecessary. I ran an air hose from my compressor to the top of the mill.

Yep. Appreciate it. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious about the machine.

Unfortunately you're not missing anything. It'd be great if they had a spindle lock.

I asked very similar questions in this thread. Take a look at the responses.

Have a look at this post. You can make or buy a spring-loaded plunger that will lock spindle rotation (bottom photos), or this would be a good time for a PDB install.

F5929837-7AA8-4F40-A3EB-F95934870CD2.jpeg

What are the washers for? If I remember correctly, I cut my drawbar off a little.

I am assuming yours does not have a Hi-Lo range due to it being an 833TV. I have the geared version and just put it in low range to tighten the drawbar up.

Draw bar is a little long, so I washer-ed it. Correct about not having hi-low - it's belt driven so it always spins freely. I'll happily keep using a small impact, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something stupid. :)

What are the washers for? If I remember correctly, I cut my drawbar off a little.

I am assuming yours does not have a Hi-Lo range due to it being an 833TV. I have the geared version and just put it in low range to tighten the drawbar up.
The manual has instructions on shortening the draw bar. Mine worked either everything aside from a slitting saw arbor, so I machined a 1/2 shim (bushing) that is small enough that the spline wrench I have goes over no issues. I had to chase a tap into some of my holders, but now they thread nicely all the way till the R8 seats, and then I give it a quarter turn or 3 and line up one of the corners of the drawbar bolt to a spline, and the spline wrench comes right off. Clocking the hex to a specific location in relation to the splines is key.

Back