Do bi-metal relays wear out?

Correct capacitor, but unlikely to be the capacitor they do not go and if they did would most likely go open. If you sign up for Zoro email notifications with a different account they normally send you a 15% off. Alternative is a 3 phase gear motor with a cheap VFD if you wanted to adjust the speed.

One add to above, it is possible that the gearbox failed and is jammed which would account for the high current.
No need for VFD, it turns a basket slowly so the case gets cleaned.
Not everything needs a 3 ph VFD............

Only reason for a VFD, is it may cost less overall. I picked up Bodine 3 phase gear motors with 1/8 and 1/6 Hp for around $100 and a cheap VFD is around $70.

If you can have the wash table move a bit faster, you might look at this listing for a replacement or if the current gearbox is OK you may be able to switch out the motor. Saves you around $200.

I had thought about the gear possibly failing.

Tomorrow ill open it up a see. Got nothing to loose giving it a try.

Have you checked Grainger for parts? (long shot)

I'll get the thing taken apart this weekend and see if there is anything in the gear reduction unit that's preventing it from turning.

If you can have the wash table move a bit faster, you might look at this listing for a replacement or if the current gearbox is OK you may be able to switch out the motor. Saves you around $200.
Is there a way to slow the motor down? Right now at 30 rpm it throws the parts off to the side and I have to tie the parts down to the table.
The machine didn't come with the large round basket that goes on the table, so just tie them down.

The motor you linked to is a really good deal. Looks to be brand new. Just a little fast. But if I can drop the speed it would work perfectly and save a couple of hundred bucks.

Thanks for finding that.

Edit:

The motor you linked to is the same as mine except rpm. I wonder if the difference is in the gear reduction? If it is and my gear case is good maybe I can swap the reduction unit on it like you suggested and have my 30 rpm?

Last edited:
I'll get the thing taken apart this weekend and see if there is anything in the gear reduction unit that's preventing it from turning.

Is there a way to slow the motor down? Right now at 30 rpm it throws the parts off to the side and I have to tie the parts down to the table.
The machine didn't come with the large round basket that goes on the table, so just tie them down.

The motor you linked to is a really good deal. Looks to be brand new. Just a little fast. But if I can drop the speed it would work perfectly and save a couple of hundred bucks.

Thanks for finding that.

Edit:

Just thinking out loud. The motor you linked to is the same as mine except rpm. I wonder if the difference is in the gear reduction? If it is and my gear case is god maybe I can swap the reduction unit and have my 30 rpm?
That is fast, most I used were about 5-10 rpm.

get a gear motor with a 3PH motor and add a VFD and you will have speed control.

I just found this for parts. My drive wheel looks pretty warn, so if I can swap the reduction unit this may work.

They are pretty proud of the start capacitor on their page. Wow $72 :rolleyes:

That is fast, most I used were about 5-10 rpm.

The way this is set up is the turn table is 36" in diameter and the motor has a 4" rubber wheel that drives on the OD of the turn table.

So with the size of the turn table its probably pretty slow turning.

From what I can figure it's 3.56 rpm.

So if I doubled with the ebay motor thats 7.12 rpm. That doesn't sound that bad.

Last edited:
Back