Do bi-metal relays wear out?

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've got a relay on my parts washer and it's just started tripping. Runs for about 3 minutes them trips, comes back on in about a minute and runs for a couple then trips again.

Second pic is the electrical specs on the washer.

20210120_160133.jpg
20210122_102532.jpg

It could, or something is drawing too much current to cause it to trip. A wiring diagram would be very helpful.

WOW that is a lot of power for a parts washer, must be big.

I would start by checking the amp draws to see if something is drawing to much and causing the relay to trip like it is supposed to.
A bi metal relay will not wear out when it is not doing anything. if it had never been tripping before then it was not moving so there should be nothing worn.

Can you measure how many amps the machine is currently pulling? Bi metal can wear out if they are tripping all the time. I know we have had to replace them after having motor problems.

Brian

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Unfortunately don't have a diagram.

Obsolete model. Not supported anymore.

It's not been tripping before. I can turn the heater off and run just the motor and it still trips. I believe the heater is on a separate circuit.

It is a big parts washer. I use it for transmission housings. One of the best things I ever bought for my shop.

I hate to admit it, but I don't know how to check the amp draw. I'll do some research on doing that.

Pic of one like mine.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Last edited:
I see harbor freight has a clamp on amp meter. I'll pick one up on Sunday when I go to town.

Easiest way is with a clamp-on ampmeter- can you borrow one? Oh I see your post, yes the HF unit should work
You might check for poor or loose connections to the relay- that might cause nuisance trips also
-Mark

Back