DIY Belt Grinder Build Questions

I have the 80lb spring. I mentioned 85 before, that was a mistake.

I'm not really sure what you mean by extension vs compression force. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but they are the same according to Newton's third law. The force it takes to compress is exactly the force it exerts, in the opposite direction.

EDIT: I think I see what you're talking about where it lists the "compression force." I believe that is the force when fully compressed.

On McMaster-Carr website, it shows extension force as the determining factor.

See this. It shows Extension Force of 80 lbs at the top of the page and a Compression Force of 108 lbs in the details. So, what's that mean?

I edited my previous post, but I guess not fast enough lol. I believe the "compression force" is just the force when fully compressed.

Oh. So, it's 80 lbs of force when full extended and 108 lbs when fully compressed (both pushing the ends apart). Now, I get it.

I was thinking that there was an extension force like pulling a spring on the ends!

I am glad you explained that. I may put one of these on my belt grinder also.
Robert

What is that, leftover paint from your John Deere? ;)

I got my motor, VFD, and wheels in. I'm trying to determine the cord to use.

Is the correct wire 12/3 SOOW for the single phase 220V, 20A to the VFD and 12/4 SOOW for the 3 phase to the motor from the VFD? Or, can I use SJOOW for both or a smaller gauge?

Back