DIY Belt Grinder Build Questions

Before you get too carried away specing out components you might want to check eBay for already built professional models. I've seen several KAR-RY models ranging in price from $150.00 to about $650.00. Most of them are along the east coast. There are also a few in Ohio. At these prices it might be less expensive (even with shipping) to buy an existing one rather than spend close to $1,000.00 in parts and time to build one.

Here are links to a few available.

Yeah, but where's the fun in that! :D
You must have more time in the shop than I do. Even though I've been "retired 15+ years I still don't get as much time there as I'd like to. I must admit though I've gotten more time in the last 10 months than I have in the previous 10 years. This last month has been a windfall as far as shop time. It's barely gotten above 0* the last couple weeks, and the lows have been in the double digits below 0*.

Even the dogs don't want to spend much time outdoors. Normally they would like to go for walks and be outside several hours throughout the day. The last couple weeks it's been a pain to get them out for a single lap around the yard. Once their deeds are done it's a quick sprint back to the house.

Too bad those machines are so far away from me. I like them and would be all over them if they were within a couple hours drive.

Unfortunately, with COVID I've got lots of time. I'm looking for projects. :(

With the cold, snowy weather of late, I can't even enjoy going outside.

I notice some of the belt grinder wheel sets on ebay come with 2 crowned wheels, the drive wheel and the track wheel. I always though only one of the wheels should be crowned to prevent the belt trying to follow 2 crowned wheels that might be out of alignment somewhat.

Is this true?

I'm using one of the plastic sets from ebay. They work great and I've never had a problem with the 2 crowned wheels. If it ends up causing a problem, you could always toss one in a lathe and flatten it out.

I found this VFD drive on eBay for only $63 which is the same as the one on Amazon for $97.

With the cheap chinese VFDs, the rated power is usually on the optimistic side. I had one burn out when I sized it exactly to the motor. 1.5KW = 2HP, I'd get the 2.2KW VFD if you go with that motor.

Brand name VFDs are another matter of course, their ratings are much closer to reality.

Thanks. You're right. I didn't notice the lower HP rating. I guess that's why it's cheaper.

Ok, I'm leaning towards a KB Electronics VFD Drive now. It's UL listed and sealed which is very attractive. I know it's more than 3X the price, but I'm using the "buy once, cry once" motto.

So, I think the KBAC -27D, KBAC-29, or KBAC-29 (1P) would work for a 2 HP motor. Sound correct?

Back