Ditron vs Sino...wich is better in your opinion

ffabeb110d1010c0c6827cb606db6a56.jpg

I installed it on the mill column using a custom made bracket, so I could use the already available threaded holes for the VFD control box

23ffb095bfe8b9673c216f261895e6ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently installed a DRO on my mill and came into contact with a DRO model from both companies. I purchased the Sino 5 axis SDS5-4 from a vendor on ebay for $275. It was listed as a new model and had some positive characteristics; metal case, 6 DB9 ports, a USB port and I believe one other connection point.

It was shipped from China, along with two 1um scales of a different brand FIVETECNC, all of which arrived in a weeks time. It did not workout as I hoped. Only two of the 5 axis on the DRO read linearly in both directions, one only read in one direction, negative and the other two (shared view) flickered in an attempt to change but mostly remained stuck. To add insult to injury, the seller could not explain, how to access the setup menu so that I could set the scale calibration, as there was a good possibility that may have been the problem, as even the two axis that worked were not set to the calibration of the scales. On screen setup did not take me where I needed to go. After fiddling with it for a few days it was returned as defective for a refund. The seller informed me it was okay after receipt, but never explained how to enter setup, the instruction manual was a horror show and minimally helpful. I kept the scales which so far work fine. I would not recommend this unit unless the problem I had has been resolved.
Sino SDS5.jpg

I looked around aliexpress and found a 5 axis Ditron D80, with 5 DB9 style ports and the ability to display all 5 axis on screen at once, if preferred. $162 for the DRO shipped. After I purchased it from the Ditron store, the price shot up across aliexpress on the same DRO to about $240. I also purchased a slim Ditron 1 um scale, which I mounted to the front of my PM728 mill table, which came pre-drilled for the PM DRO offered for it, where the "X" axis scale would normally go on the back side of the table.

I'm very happy with it so far. Setup was not only easy to access in order to set the correct scale calibration and other settings, it does not require an irregular button press sequence. It's right on the screen (icon) and one click away to access. The instruction manual was much, much better than what I received with the Sino unit and it appears to have all of the functions the Sino unit offered, they're just behind the scenes as opposed to being out front on the unit face. The Ditron scale also came with an exceptional instruction manual 20 pages long with color pictures.

Ditron D80a.jpg

Last edited:
For other people considering a DRO.....I've got Easson DROs on both lathe & mill. The PM lathe came with it installed. I bought the 3 axis model for the Jet knee mill. Other than the shaft being wrong for the mill and not available (I made one) both have worked fine. The manuals are good. Calibrating one the mill took me quite a while. My lack of knowledge there didn't help. The mounting brackets supplied didn't work well on my mill so made some. They read to 10ths but that is dubious.

I also have Easson magnetic scales on both my mill and lathe. I upgraded from glass scales a couple of months ago based on the recommendation of one of our wise counselors here at H-M. Like Larry$, I basically tossed the mounting brackets and made my own, but other than that (which was anticipated from the get-go), I'm totally satisfied with both systems. The resolution is light years better than the magnetic scales I had.

Another observation: both systems came with guards that rest very comfortably in a track on the upper side of the scale's rail - no bolting necessary. Call it over-the-top paranoia, but I'm glad they're there. Not much chance of swarf or coolant dripping down onto the scale itself.

Seems like prices on this stuff is going up hourly, but I went ahead and bought them anyway. Glad I did. Would do it again in a heartbeat if necessary.

Regards

I also am happy with the Ditron D80, but I had to go to 1um resolution on the X axis to be satisfied with diameter mode. I also had to do a linear compensation on that axis, now I feel it is the most accurate measuring tool I have for over 1” measurements.

Edit: DROPros was very helpful in the journey.

I just bought the D80 for my lathe. I have the 5um scale for both axes. I hope that's not gonna be a problem. I ordered it with RPM capability but they forgot to send the Hall sensor. Supposedly they will send it.

I just bought the D80 for my lathe. I have the 5um scale for both axes. I hope that's not gonna be a problem. I ordered it with RPM capability but they forgot to send the Hall sensor. Supposedly they will send it.

I have one on my mill and my lathe that arrived over the summer. They're about 2 yrs apart and the latter appears to be slightly upgraded operating system wise. I believe it's 3.0 vs the earlier 2.0. The mill DRO has 5 axis, the lathe DRO has 4 (all in use) plus the rpm input which I have yet to install. What I noticed on the lathe DRO is that it shows the feed rate, where the mill DRO does not. It's possibly due to the mill vs. lathe setting but I doubt it given the x-axis on the mill. I never bothered to switch the mill settings to lathe to test it.

In the "How many axis" thread, some of the seasoned pros were a bit hard on DRO use, but I can't imagine not using one on the premise of being skilled enough to continue using the traditional trial and error approach.

I am a new DIYer, It's so accurate for me at this point, that now when I get down to only needing to remove .001" from bar stock diameter, I can set the DOC at .0004" and I'll be there in a single pass +/- a tenth if not spot on. I learned to put a little drag on the gib to make sure there's no micro slack and it comes out fine. Saves an awful lot of time.

BE SURE TO GROUND YOUR DRO TO THE MACHINE USING THAT THREADED LUG ON THE BACK OF THE DRO. I lost a 1un scale on the mill at about 2 yrs in right after watching a video on tube of an install on the quill, where the tuber explained that he believes it happened because his DRO was not grounded. He demonstrated the repair of the failed sensor with a chip replacement, but still installed a replacement head. About 2 weeks later the same happened to me on the same axis, "Y". The sensor stopped reading and the DRO value just flickered. I suppose with all of the coiled cables in close proximity, rubbing together, or dragging along some part of the stand builds static waiting for a discharge source.

The nice thing about it is that all of the info was on the scale and I was able to easily get a replacement from China at a reasonable price.

DSC08845.JPG

I went Sino you must buy the scale and readout together the wiring is probably different on brands.

Last edited:
Back