Diamond in the rough?

Very nice, it’s great to see an older machine that will get back into service....

I know you’ll be very happy with how this one operates compared to the mini you bought earlier, and will be able to make a good testimonial on the virtues of waiting for the right machine.

Now wipe that grin off your face and get to work :encourage:

john

Once I can get the chuck off I'll pull it apart, clean, lube and reassemble. The jaws and chuck are already numbered.

Is the chuck stuck? If so, do NOT use the back gear to lock the spindle. The gears are just cast iron and will easily break off teeth. Put a 2 foot steel bar cross-wise in the chuck so that it sticks out toward the back. Stand a 2x4 up in line with the bar, so that the bar will hit the 2x4 on the top. Now, using your hands, roll the chuck backwards so that the bar strikes the 2x4. Let the inertia break the chuck free.

If you have an impact wrench, chuck up a hex bar and drive it with the wrench.

The next time you put on your chuck, make a gasket out of parchment (cooking/oven) paper or wax paper and put this between the chuck and the spindle shoulder. This will prevent the chuck from sticking and make removal easy.

The one thing that I wish South Bend lathes had was a dedicated spindle lock.

Got the chuck off by following @SLK001 advice.
Chucked up a piece of 18” bar and put a couple of 12” lengths of 2x4 face down on the bench. Spun the chuck so the end of the bar hit the 2x4s and easily broke it loose.

It’s a 5” Kobayashi chuck. Nicely made.
The adapter plate is a really tight interference fit.
6c352a78caef67b7ff269f9eb8c8205b.jpg

fa0d4b967f9b5ef1cf9f750f92518890.jpg

I am struggling to get the drive system set up though. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

I think the belt is too long for the width of the bench top.

Should the tension adjuster be horizontal when fully engaged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am struggling to get the drive system set up though. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

I think the belt is too long for the width of the bench top.

Should the tension adjuster be horizontal when fully engaged?

It should go slightly past horizontal and lock there. It will be mostly horizontal, I guess. Look at the second picture in your original post - the drive is locked in that pic.

@SLK001 I completely forgot about those pics.
I think what I was thinking is that the weight of the motor etc. would put tension on the belt like a contractor style table saw.
I see now that once the base is secured the tension adjustment rod is what's going to tension the belt.

Also found the 10K mounting instructions in the Army manual which state the pivot on the base should be 15 3/4" from the edge of the back of the foot.

I fussed about some more and got things sorted out with the drive.
Spun it up for a few seconds and wow, smooth, smooth, smooth!

I discovered that the small nut on the spur gear is missing. No idea what diameter or pitch it might be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I discovered that the small nut on the spur gear is missing. No idea what diameter or pitch it might be.

Get out your thread gauges and calipers and measure the stud. It's probably the same as on the other two gear axles.

Congrads on your delivery on the diamond in the rough
I see no moss grows under your feet
You will be making chips in no time
Nice to hear everything worked out for you

You have to be a happy camper. Very nice machine for your first endeavor. Cheers, Mike

Back