Diamond in the rough?

I've not used the piston style, but I suspect just as the wedge is allegedly a little more accurate, it is also probably more fussy with tighter tolerances making the cheaper QCTPs more prone to binding. I have a Little Machine Shop OXA wedge type for my Sherline, it required just a little bit of adjustment in fit at first but now the tool holders go on smoothly every time.

I've also got a larger wedge type BXA Phase II on my 10x24" Powermatic and it required the prior owner to take a little off the wedge to work at all. Even with that modification it will still occasionally bind when changing tool holders requiring some jiggling of the handle and tool holder. I very much doubt that is an issue with a real Aloris or Dorian.

I agree with Dabbler on the need for a QCTP, they are very much a nice to have, not a need to have item. I used the standard* rocker tool posts on my Sherline for a couple of years before buying a QCTP. I still find there are times that the standard tool posts are useful, and having used both now I find that I was not in anyway handicapped without one. It simply makes tool changes easier.

*Sherline's rocker tool posts are sort of a cross between a lantern and the type found on many mini-lathes.

1577330683550.png

I think the Sherline holder is really brilliant! (--oh no! not another project!)

Looking back at all the years I have been removing chips from metal, I cannot think of one time where I needed any type of repeatability. You do an operation, and then remove the first tool holder, and drop in the second, and do another operation. Then if you reinstall the first tool holder, There has been cuts made, the carriage, compound, or both have moved. What repeatability do I need when I put it back?

I can see the height adjustment, so the cutter is moving in line with the center of the work piece, But I cannot see where the piston, or wedge style will be different, as the height is set on the tool holder, not the tool post.

For many operations, I find a 4 way tool post faster, and simpler to use once set up. The thing I do not like, is the one I have for my SB 16", is mainly designed to use 1/2" HSS tools. One of thge things on my to-do, is to make a puece that will hold a parting blade, and clamp into the 4 way tool post.

The wedge type can generate more clamping force, so it is theoretically more rigid. I used a lantern for 40+ years before I switched. To me, the QCTP is the cat's meow - I still have my lanterns, but I can't see ever using them again.

Ah @SLK001 - perhaps sell your lanterns to those of us that appreciate them! The are the best tool holder to reach in for O ring groves and difficult OD reach-arounds... (saved my bacon more than once)

I think the Sherline holder is really brilliant! (--oh no! not another project!)

Not as quick as a QCTP, but since on the Sherline they mount in a T-slot, if you have several, they actually do allow easy tool changes without a need to re center the height.

Ah @SLK001 - perhaps sell your lanterns to those of us that appreciate them! The are the best tool holder to reach in for O ring groves and difficult OD reach-arounds... (saved my bacon more than once)
I have a few lanterns :big grin:

When producing multiple parts, repeatability is important. Being able to switch tools and just dial to the same number speeds things up. I've never done any production with a plunger post, we were taught they didn't repeat and took that for gospel. For those of us who don't do that (anymore), it's not nearly as important. I have 2 plunger style AXA posts, one that came with my Heavy 10 and one I was given. Either would probably have been perfectly serviceable for my needs, but I bought a wedge style. I find it hard to adjust to the mentality of a hobbyist after so many years in the trade. We would never have anything but Aloris or Dorian, and thought nothing of dropping $1k on a CXA set when we bought another lathe. I do have some difficulty fitting certain toolholders on the post, but that is mostly because I have an assortment from several different sources.

Anybody who wants a plunger type AXA can have one for the price of shipping. No holders, just the post. PM me.

@Tinwoodsman is that a subscription publication?

Edit: subscribed!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are four magazines I know of aimed at general hobby machining, Machinist's Workshop, The Home Shop Machinist and Model Engineer / Model Engineer's Workshop. I've picked up a few here and there. Some shops that carry magazines carry them. I've found them at Barnes and Noble, and the local Tractor Supply carries Machinist Workshop.

Like most magazines I've found some issues have been really interesting, others not so much.

I'm able to find so much online that I haven't bothered to subscribe, but if you like magazines they have some good stuff. Model Engineer / Model Engineer's Workshop are from the UK and 13 issues a year vs 6 for the other 2 so quite a bit more expensive.

Back