Diamond in the rough?

@FOMOGO yup, I’m thrilled that I found such a cream puff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrads on your delivery on the diamond in the rough
I see no moss grows under your feet
You will be making chips in no time
Nice to hear everything worked out for you

Thanks @Nigel123, I’m glad I took the advice of the members here and waited for the right machine to come along.

Thanks @Nigel123, I’m glad I took the advice of the members here and waited for the right machine to come along.

Now on to the next stage of the illness which is actually 1 or 2 routes. It could be you will start buying tooling and in short order have spent as much on tools as you have the lathe or, and this is probably the worst of the 2 symptoms, you will have too good to pass up deals landing in your lap on other machines fairly frequently. Seriously, you can stop looking and they will find you. Right after I bought my mill I was offered a smaller lathe, a bigger mill, a surface grinder and a small shaper for stupid cheap. I probably could have flipped them and doubled my money or at least sold off 1/2 of them for the price of the whole lot but the wife gave me the stink eye when I mentioned it.

So I did what any man would do, I bought a new gun to sooth my broken heart.

Well @MontanaLon, route #1 is already happening. I have a 4-jaw and QCTP in their way

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but make your FIRST project constructing one of these:

DSCI2204.JPG

DSCI2205.JPG

It will help keep your ways looking new as it protects them from falling chucks.

Congratulations! That looks to be a very nice machine!

Thanks @SLK001, I did exactly that yesterday

Thanks @ACHiPo, I'm pretty stoked about it!

Last edited:
You have to be a happy camper. Very nice machine for your first endeavor. Cheers, Mike
Thanks Mike, I noticed you said first... :D

David,
You have a very nice lathe.
I haven't read through all the responses. I wanted you to be warned in advance before you damage your spindle bearings.
I assume you are going to be tempted to check your spindle bearings, you have the brass/bronze bearings.
There is a right and a wrong way to remove/install/adjust them. Please get help here before you touch the head stock.
There, I feel better. I didn't want you to suffer where others have learned the hard way.
Regards,

Back