Definitely Not How To Use A Grinder

this is why i prefer an air grinder

Had a 10" one jump back at me once. The only thing that saved me was being in the middle of winter I had many layers of clothing on including leather jacket and apron.
It still drew a thin red line (no blood) across my chest.

That might sound funny, but I watched it happen to my step son. He was grinding some welds on a mower deck with a small air grinder, when the wheel broke up. I heard a thud and some squalling and he was jumping around like he was on fire. The wheel exploded, with parts hitting him in the groin region and a small chunk hitting him in the "beans". Took awhile to get him calmed down. Good thing he was wearing coveralls. Found out later that the wheel was only rated for 10K rpm, the grinder ran @ 14K.

I am surprised more people are not injured by them. I am appalled at the even the numbers who I see in vids on Utube who believe there is no other option but to remove the guard and handle.
The worst examples of misuse are found in the 4" to 5.5" inch range. I have used all sizes for over 50 years as a professional metalworker/boilermaker and trade school instructor and never had an injury because I use he equipment the way the way the makers intended.
Talk to the ER workers ,they can tell you how dangerous people are with them.

Well, there's more news on the "grinder to crotch in Australia" front:

"Tweed Heads firies use angle grinder to free man’s penis from ring spanner

A MAN was left red-faced when firefighters had to be called to hospital to remove a tool from his penis.

The man became stuck after his penis swelled up in the ring spanner on Monday and was he unable to remove it.

Tweed firefighters say it not uncommon for them to be called to such jobs where people leave it too late to ask for help.

“It’s really dangerous because inevitably people leave it too long to come see us because they are embarrassed, or say my wife said to put butter on it, sleep on it and it will go down,” said senior firefighter Peter Sutherland.

“It never does.”

Mr Sutherland said one man took his girlfriend with him to the hospital.

“The blood goes into the appendage whether it’s a finger or whatever, it just swells up and by the time you realise it’s too late,” he said.

“We use a tiny angle grinder that’s air operated and use measuring tape to protect the skin and slowly zip away at it while keeping water running on it so it doesn’t get too hot.

“It’s a pretty delicate operation especially where it is, there’s a lot of blood vessels.

“We do quite a few of them.”

Maybe somebody should do a public service announcement.

Back