Deciding On A Lathe...

I cringe every time someone comes on here and asks the members to 'pick a machine for me'. Like Jon says, it's impossible for some other person to tell you exactly what you need, when everyone has different opinions on likes, dislikes, features, etc., etc.. IMO, a better way to seek assistance here would be to ask questions that can be answered with facts rather than opinions. For example, "what swing is required for making something like this', or 'what spindle speeds do I need to turn a specific material', or 'I want to make/rebuild clocks so what type of lathe is better suited for this' (the question begs opinions, but should focus them a bit).

These types of questions may reduce the level of noise you get for answers (get the biggest you can afford, buy US only, buy HF, etc.), or so I'd like to think anyway. :)

Just throwing a general question out, while great typing exercise for the members here, will do very little to actually help you decide on parentage/size/features you should use to narrow your choices. If the goal is just to have someone do all the thinking for you and hand you a choice, the likelyhood of actually being happy what that choice is iffy at best.

I thought he provided sufficient info to help him get on his way considering he mentioned his hobby. If you have ever made custom or oblsolete car parts on a lathe you have a ball-park to provide some suggestions with regards to size, power, rpm and features like a thread cutting gear box etc. In hot-rodding the majority of material machines is cast, steel or bronze for bushes with the occasional exception of aluminium or brass for some decoration. Based on this you can provide a decent set of requirements that will narrow the field substancially.

An easy way to see what you need is to visit people who share the same hobby as you and see what machines they use. You will quickly see a trend and this is based on requirements for the type of work carried out. This is what my recommendations are based on since I have been involved and still machine parts for the hot-rodding community in Norway. There are a number of typical jobs carried out within this hobby so recommendations can be quite safely made based on features of the machines.

Any time you ask for advice you will get noise because everyone wants to help. Your job is to be an informed buyer and listen to those who are doing what you are planning on doing and then make up your own mind.

Paul.

Appreciate the responses... It's all been helpful. Not really looking to do a lot of machining, I'd just like to have the ability to cut a part down, thread a piece, make a spacer, bushing, etc. when needed. Our shops are pricy and two weeks out anytime I need something small done. It's all normally odd ball stuff, so I can't really nail down anything specific I'd make. I'd love to take a night class, it'd really open up the capabilities of the machines. But nothing is really available locally. I've taken night classes before for welding, can't say I learned a lot, but I got a lot of good seat time. Seat time is pretty valuable...

I've spoke with a couple local shops about their lathes. Both are running a Jet1340, which is really similar to the Grizzly I saw on Craigslist. Neither seemed real proud of the machine but they said they work for what they needed. The guy with fab shop said he wouldn't get anything smaller just b/c it'd be too light. I did make an attempt to check out the Rockwell, but owner isn't answering any calls or email.

Just as well, I managed to drop a rather large pipe on my foot last weekend, so I'll be confined to crutches for a few weeks. On a positive note, that'll give me some time to do some researching. I'll post back if I have any specific questions or come up with a machine. Thanks again for all the replies...

Shad

I picked up the Grizzly 4016. The previous owner seemed pretty honest and took a lot of time to go over the machine with me and ran the lathe through all its gears. He had this one several years and just upgraded to a nice 15x60 Clausing. He also just acquired a series 1 Bridgeport that was a very nice looking machine.

I didn't really want to take on several more projects like restoring a machine or setting up a phase converter. There are a couple local guys that have similar machine to this in town, so I may have some resources to help me if needed. The machine seems like a good all around size for what I need.

Now I need to find a way to unload it off the trailer, wire up some extra 220V, and start researching what tooling I need.

Some would hire a wrecker with a boom. If you are moving it from a trailer to a garage a good operator should be able to move it inside. It the ceiling is high enough should be able to put it where you want it. If you know others who have similar lathe ask them what tooling they prefer. Glad you found one.

That's a good idea, didn't think about a wrecker... I got lucky, my cherry picker managed it better than I thought. I'll definitely be paying those guys with similar lathes another visit....

....snip.....Now I need to find a way to unload it off the trailer, wire up some extra 220V, and start researching what tooling I need.

Get you a couple of 2 x 8's, slide up under the edge of the lathe. Lag bolt the lathe down to the 2 x 8's, leaving them sticking out as much as you can, at least half of the 2 x 8 sticking out. You can even use 2 x 10 of you like. next tie off to a tree or a bulk head in the garage and drag off the the lathe using a come a long. I've moved many machines using this method. A little workout for you or if you are lucky to have a teenager handy, put them to work helping. Once you get it on the ground roll it around on 1/2" black pipe pieces until you get it where you want it. Then start removing the 2 x 8's boards, letting it down 1/2" at a time until you have the lathe on the ground.

Ken

IF you have balls the size of Ave, you can move anything :)

He makes me look like an amateur redneck. Must be something to do with folks suffering from acute Canadianism...

Congrats. That lathe should be able to do what you are planning on quite nicely. You can even still download the owner's manual from the Grizzly website. That's a nice all around size and if you are able to outwork it someday, good for you. Now you know we need to see some pictures though, right?:)

Got the lathe leveled and wired.
D11BBDDB-7B8A-45B6-B435-C7B74B909C4D_zpstcbpcxou.jpg

Not sure if I'll ever use any of this... It came with a taper attachment, collet set, 4 jaw, steady rest.
D3BDFAAB-AA8B-4BF6-91E0-A12D931F7A3D_zpsgiessgmi.jpg

He went ahead and gave me these boring bits, his lathe wasn't set up to run this type.
806A2028-B309-401B-8597-DAC81DA6FB1F_zpsnvojskvj.jpg

FE220B12-3D25-443C-9766-CEEF4360C47B_zps1vvxkerc.jpg

Back