Deciding On A Lathe...

The problem is for every decent old American lathe how many clapped out junkers will you have to sift through? Second, you will make a significant investment in tool holders, tooling, likely a DRO, chucks, you can easily spend the cost of the lathe again on this stuff so choose your lathe wisely. A mistake would be buying a lathe you quickly outgrow, so you buy a larger lathe then you start over buying all the extras a second time.

If I were making things for hot rods my expectation of the lathe and mill would be capable of producing show quality work.

To me, it seems like there are about three paths that someone getting into machining as a hobby will take. 1) buy the thing, halfheartedly play with it a few times and then 5-10 years later sell it on craigslist. 2)Buy something start learning on it but find out some mortal flaw in the type, size or quality of the machine. The sell it and buy a machine that works better. 3) become totally obsessed and buy more/larger machines and keep looking for projects that would require even larger/nicer/different style.
Most people on all the machining forums that are there for a year or more are going through 2 and/or 3. It is impossible for any other person to tell you exactly what you need because everyone has a slightly different situation.
If you can think of specific parts that you would like to make, and ask if "x" machine is suitable for that part you may get closer to finding which machine may last you for awhile. Maybe also try to find youtube videos of that part being made and inspect the machine it is being made on. If there is one part that really catches your eye and it is being made on a lathe you are looking at, you can feel fairly confident that at some point you should be able to do the same.
Just be aware, if you get into this hobby, you will be buying more.:encourage:

You need to determine your budget, then that will dictate the size, condition and quality of the lathe that one would consider. If you like to tinker and fix things, then an older lathe may be in the cards, if you just want to get into it, and start turning you want something that doesn't need to be fixed/upgraded. Parts can be an issue with older machine, and then you need to think of available chucks and gearing for vintage machines. If you haven't fixed/repaired older machines then go with something newer that you know that it works and holds tolerance.

I would say the sweet spot for many hobbyist machinists would be a 12x36 to 14x40, unless all you plan to do is really small stuff. Size wise they have about the same footprint. I started out wanting something smaller, but ended up with a 13x40, and glad that I did. Small stuff is no problem, I use a 5C chuck which works great, otherwise and ER type holder also works very well. Most of these machines top out at 1600-2000 RPM, that has been fine for small work I have done. Beyond 2000-2500 RPM you will having bearing issues with splash lubrication.

Consider how much threading you will be doing, and if you will be doing metric. Need for change gears, ergonomics and weight of the machine you will won't to work with. Last, but not least, tooling for the machine can be very costly for the lathe so I would figure another 50-75% of the cost of the lathe for this (unless you are really good at scrounging).

I cringe every time someone comes on here and asks the members to 'pick a machine for me'. Like Jon says, it's impossible for some other person to tell you exactly what you need, when everyone has different opinions on likes, dislikes, features, etc., etc.. IMO, a better way to seek assistance here would be to ask questions that can be answered with facts rather than opinions. For example, "what swing is required for making something like this', or 'what spindle speeds do I need to turn a specific material', or 'I want to make/rebuild clocks so what type of lathe is better suited for this' (the question begs opinions, but should focus them a bit).

These types of questions may reduce the level of noise you get for answers (get the biggest you can afford, buy US only, buy HF, etc.), or so I'd like to think anyway. :)

Just throwing a general question out, while great typing exercise for the members here, will do very little to actually help you decide on parentage/size/features you should use to narrow your choices. If the goal is just to have someone do all the thinking for you and hand you a choice, the likelyhood of actually being happy what that choice is iffy at best.

Last edited:
I cringe every time someone comes on here and asks the members to 'pick a machine for me'. Like Jon says, it's impossible for some other person to tell you exactly what you need, when everyone has different opinions on likes, dislikes, features, etc., etc.. IMO, a better way to seek assistance here would be to ask questions that can be answered with facts rather than opinions. For example, "what swing is required for making something like this', or 'what spindle speeds to I need to turn a specific material', or 'I want to make/rebuild clocks so what type of lathe is better suited for this' (the question begs opinions, but should focus them a bit).

These types of questions may reduce the level of noise you get for answers (get the biggest you can afford, buy US only, buy HF, etc.), or so I'd like to think anyway. :)

Just throwing a general question out, while great typing exercise for the members here, will do very little to actually help you decide on parentage/size/features you should use to narrow your choices. If the goal is just to have someone do all the thinking for you and hand you a choice, the likelyhood of actually being happy what that choice is iffy at best.

Well said Bill! :+1:

When I was looking for a lathe I asked a few guys I respected. Both said that while they like old US iron they suggested a new Chinese made lathe.
The reasons given were well spoken. I don't have a clue what to look for in determining the status of an older lathe, I'm new to this stuff. I was also looking for a tool to use, not a project. I wasn't interested in or have the knack to make an older lathe functional should it be worn or missing parts. I anted something good to go from the start.
In short, we all have different needs and desires. What fits me may not fit someone else.

I am quite pleased with my PM 1236, it has done all could ask of it this far.

We don't want to discourage anyone. I/we have seen others do fine work on some of the poorest equipped machines out there. My uncle was a WWII Army Air Corp machinist who bought a lathe from that era or earlier. Straight gear change, no quick gear box sitting in his tool shed. The thing was so noisy when he ran it. Had the old tool holders and a stack of change gears.

If you live near other home machinist go see their machines. Ask them what they like or dislike abut their lathes. A lathe or mill sitting in the corner covered up isn't doing anyone any good.

Unless you are making parts for RC cars and planes or model trains look for a medium size swing lathe. Good luck in your search

So, in conclusion, buy the "most" machine you can afford (whatever criteria you pick) while leaving some money for tooling. Whatever machine you get, come on back, let us know and many people will be willing to answer your questions and get you making chips.

So, in conclusion, buy the "most" machine you can afford (whatever criteria you pick) while leaving some money for tooling. Whatever machine you get, come on back, let us know and many people will be willing to answer your questions and get you making chips.

Usually there is at least one member on here will have owned the model lathe you find. I wish we could tell buy one particular brand. But there are many variables to consider; swing diameter, motor voltage and toolage. We have engineers, designers and a lot of hobbyists all have different requirements. Even each used machine may have different features like spindle brakes and carriage stops. Good luck

Before buying any machine, find a trade school or a community college near you. Call and talk to the machine shop instructors to arrange a time to go and see the classroom / lab. That way you can stand in front of the lathes / mills and get a feel for size and scope of the machine, and get a better idea of what you think will or won't work for you. Talk to them about day or night classes. How old are you ? Some states offer classes for folks 60 and over for free all you pay is a small fee often under fifty bucks +/-. Are you a vet? There are many programs / look into all opportunities and ask if they will let you observe a class to see if it's right for you.
Tomh;)

Back