Dating A South Bend Shaper

In 1959, My father brought home a little 6&1/2" stroke shaper for me,, I have had it around longer than the wife.

Does that qualify as an engineering blind date?

Could a machine like this be used to cut the bolt raceways for a rifle action?

I know this post is a year old but maybe it could. Depends on how long the receivers are. I have a Mauser 98 laying in front of me and i think it would cut the raceways...Bob

My shaper has the following numbers that I can find:

956S1 and D131

I think those are part numbers since those parts unbolt. Your felt keepers are different than mine and have 3 bolts. But yours is the newer oil pump model, wide base and mine is the old skinny base. Oh well it was worth a look...Bob

I think those are part numbers since those parts unbolt. Your felt keepers are different than mine and have 3 bolts. But yours is the newer oil pump model, wide base and mine is the old skinny base. Oh well it was worth a look...Bob

This is an old thread. I did find the serial number (see post #8 on this thread) SH-1632-7S8C It was made in 1963.

I know this is a old thread, but I got a new to me shaper and the serial number on mine is not like the ones mentioned here. Its 00076-S. What the heck year is this made in?

Mine is stamped 00052S.
It also still has the metal ID plate with serial number 00052S stamped on it.

Mine is stamped 00052S.
It also still has the metal ID plate with serial number 00052S stamped on it.
I have done a little looking into this, and from what I can tell is that (now don't quote me as I could be wrong) that the serial numbers like we have are the newer machines. Probably made in the late 60's or early 70's. My side cover you remove to change stroke length has a newer South Bend logo on it compared to the others I have seen. Also on that same side cover mine has never had a tag on it describing the oil pump and its operation. I came to this conclusion by looking at all the old South Bend catalogs I could find online. So as far as I can tell they are newer. But like I said before, I could be wrong.

Back