Dating A South Bend Shaper

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I found some info on dating SB lathes but not much about shapers.

My shaper has the following numbers that I can find:

956S1 and D131

IMG_2942.JPG IMG_2943.JPG

I bet there is a "South Bend Dating site" somewhere on line, I do love my tools/machinery but I draw the line at dating them but to each his own.:lmao::rofl:

Nice paint job. How are you using it?

The only thing I painted was the stand, motor and the switch, all the other paint is how I got it, I suspect it may not be original. Using it? Just playing for now.

I bet there is a "South Bend Dating site" somewhere on line, I do love my tools/machinery but I draw the line at dating them but to each his own.

My wife would rather me be hanging out in the shop than hanging out in the bars! :thumbsup:

Other Pictures:

IMG_2940.JPG IMG_2939.JPG IMG_2941.JPG

The very early South Bend shapers(1949-mid 50's) didn't have serial numbers. These early machines required the operator to lubricate the ram.
Later machines(mid 50's) up had a serial number and pressurized lubrication system. The 4th and 5th digit of these serial numbers were the year manufactured. An example would be serial number SH7623 it would have been made in 1962.
There was also a change in the design of the front foot casting in the early 50's to make it wider.

Look around this location for the serial number. It may be covered in paint.

ShaperSerialNumber.jpg

ShaperSerialNumber.jpg

Thank you OldMachinist I found the number in the location you show.

SH-1632-7S8C

Back