Damaged big twist drill

You know... I love problem solving. It was a big part of my obvious job as well as my current.
But I have a terrible habit of WAY over thinking things....
I just chopped off the hoopajooped small end and Turner the MT3 taper down. I didn't MT2 taper the ends mainly because I spent some time centering the drill in the 4 jaw before I set the compound... so, center drilled and setup the live center and I just turned the ends down to just less than 5/8" to fit my drill chuck... was really quite easy... jeez. Haha

14917067666811478318528.jpg

Here's a fun fact I just discovered...

I have several of these drills rescued from the colossal empire of junk that I've been calling my side job for the past month. About 6 in total I found in a rusty box of old twist drills and wood boring bits. I pretty much grabbed everything with an MT end.

They're all tapping drills! Every one of them. So, that's kinda fun. I'm definitely going to restore them now. I fixed three drills that had either chowdered ends or one that had an MT5, which I could do anything with... and the others are all MT2 which is my tail stock, and some are in vinegar already. See how it goes...

IMAG1022.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you planning a big ole wood cabinet with plenty of drawers to organize all that hardware?

Haha. No. If I had the time and the money to buy all that lumber, sure. But there's more pressing things to build in the woodshop. I made a crib for my brother in law a few years ago, it's ready to be converted into a toddler bed. My sister wants a stand for all her plants. And my moms being bugging me for years for a China hutch.

I did buy this a little while ago, however. This is holding all my machining stuff for now.
A retired hospital cart. I took ghe wheels and table top off and it slid right under my bench.

Correction - I deleted the photo I was going to post. I'll take another when I'm up and outside. Lol.

The drills look excellent. I have a bunch of turned down drills done in big lathes. Yours look just as good.

I'd say I did pretty good.
These were incredibly rusty, and as mentioned, I had to turn a bunch of the ends down.
I'm really impressed how well just vinegar did. I'm also shocked how fast they flash rust once dry... the second from the right one I left a few mins too long before oiling. You can see the surface rust.

There's 21/32" up to 1 7/16". All tapping drills
Quite happy.

IMAG1025.jpg

I just mean they're all tap sized drills.

Back