Damaged big twist drill

I don't know - that is a big drill to be held by that tiny shank. If it catches, it will spin and no drill chuck will hold it. Even if I could turn the shank true, I would probably only use it in wood, not metal. My chucks are worth a lot more than that drill bit.

I don't know - that is a big drill to be held by that tiny shank. If it catches, it will spin and no drill chuck will hold it. Even if I could turn the shank true, I would probably only use it in wood, not metal. My chucks are worth a lot more than that drill bit.
If he gets it trued then flats would be in order. It looks like he may have close to 1/2" to work with. I cringe when I see a double ended cutting tool intended for a chuck.

Mikey great minds.. see post #5.

David

You don't need full length one morse on the drill just get the taper right at the twist of the base to the smallest dia. The two morse will lock up on the taper then buy a small weld around it , the drill is made anew with full length two morse taper drill bit. Some homeowner hacked the bit up to drill out his bike wheel. So don't worry about full length inside the morse adapter your welding it together as one.

You certainly should keep it. Even if you don't use it for a while - maybe some time in the future you will figure out a use for it and figure out a way to use it. You have a 10x28 lathe, I can imagine that it would be quite useful for quickly opening up holes to get a decent size boring bar in. I advise that you get set up for tool post drilling (don't try to push a drill bit like that from the tailstock).

I had a couple large rough drill bits (both 1-1/4") that came to me as scrap. Following many of the suggestions above (and a few of my own), they are now both in good condition. They are now perhaps the most expensive 1.25" drill bits anyone has ever seen!

The first one had a MT4 sleeve welded on (crooked), and with the weld metal and rough grinding on the morse taper there was no chance at all of it holding. I straightened it and recut the taper. I actually used a lathe about the same size as yours for the machining (11" swing) because it has a nice taper attachment (gave me an excuse to use the TTA). I made a split sleeve (without the sleeve the jaws would not land evenly) and held it in the 4 jaw chuck. The first operation was to carefully make a tiny spot face and center drill the outer end. Even with getting it pretty straight (which was a pretty arbitrary shot, since the previous owner (the guy who welded it?) got it crooked and offset) - I had to take quite a bit off to get it to clean up. Remember that taking just a little off the diameter pushes the taper up quite a ways. Anyhow, the taper carried into the flutes of the drill. As you probably know, the shank of a HSS drill bit is easy to machine, but the flutes are full hard - which made for interesting machining (used two edges of an insert), with the chips coming off as very tiny blue curles. Then recut the tang. My mill is set up with an MT4 adapter.

The second one was more challenging. It had a MT3 sleeve welded on. It was just bent and the bearing lands near the tip had been chewed back (pretty common issue). The tip was easy to address, simply cut it off with an abrasive chop saw and repoint. The straightening gave me a lot of trouble. The method I use is to map the bend, then clamp it straight on a big piece of square bar and heat it at the point I want to bend it - let it cool. After about 10 tries, I could see the previous weld was cracked. So I dug out the crack, welded it up (several times), more straightening - got it pretty good, then reground the taper (excuse to try out the T&C grinder, again I held it over a sleeve) and cut the tang. I have an MT3 holder for the tool post.

I'm very happy with the results. You should fix it up. It is a challenge, but once you get at it I think you'll find it is not really a big deal. Let us know how you make out. Regards, David

DSCF7508.JPG

DSCF7509.JPG

David, great work! Could we have a look at your MT3 holder for the tool post please?

If it already has one flat on the shank, why not file two more flats at 120 deg so drill chuck jaws have a good seat.
Once the flats are roughed out, trial fits and a bit more careful filing could get it to hold pretty straight in a drill chuck.
I'll try taking a better picture of the chowdered end shortly. It's bad. It's all off centre, ground, smashed, bent, you make it.
There's not enough meat to file two more flats. I'd be drilling 1 1/8" with a 5/16" shank. I'm sure it would shear off.

Does the taper fit your tailstock? What's the bore size for your lathe..or what's the longest length you can put in the jaws still turn accurately?
Maybe this video will give you some ideas on how to hold the drill bit so you can chuck it up and turn the end true. I know the instructions are addressing the out of adjustment chuck, and you may need a boring bar to bore the bushing to size.
The bore on my lathe is smaller, unfortunately. That was the first thing I tried, lol. But, I wonder if I make a bushing sleeve, thick enough to grab in the 6" 4 jaw, which has a longer bore till my lathes MT2 spindle, but thin enough I could squeeze the bit enough to hold it straight. THAT is what I think I will try... if I can turn it round, I will either try to weld and turn it to the MT3 of my tail stock or at least an MT 1 or 2 and use a purchased sleeve.
Ideas! I like the ideas!

Back