Damaged big twist drill

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
I acquired this 1 1/8" drill bit. The cutting end is nice, I was able to grind that back to a nice chisel point but the chucking end is chowdered. The drill will not chuck straight. And, the bore of my lathe is too small to even attempt to chuck nor do I even think it's possible to grab it.
Any options or is this just junk?
I'm not remotely attached to this drill. Just a nice big drill to have.

1491410054314441296511.jpg

You could try making up a bushing to hold the cutting end in your four jaw and use a steady rest.
Dial it in and then cut the shank true again.

Awww. I wish I had a steady rest...
I feel of have to custom fit one to my lathe. I'm sure it's an odd size.

Shawn that is a lot of bit for such a small diameter shank...Looks like a disaster waiting to happen...or perhaps already has. Do you think someone has already turned down the shank to fit their chuck? Or ground it down?

David

Holy crap! They're in Mississauga! That's two hours from here... not one country away!
I'm going to be contacting them for sure!

David - something is fishy about this bit. It came from an estate sale from an old gentleman who liked auctions. So, who knows. Short of precision welding a sleeve on there, I'm sure this bit is a fancy paper weight.

I'd try saving the drill. Is the upper part from the buggered end . If you can center drill it using ve block and clamp in a vise on an angle plate . If you can get it between center in tailstock , I'd turn it to a one morse taper and then put an adaptor to two morse . Then I'd mig it around the top after a couple good wacks with a hammer . Your drill bit should be good after that. If it's not bent and centered when cutting . You can do it with out a center rest.
If you don't want it send it to me I'll fix and use. Even tho I have the same size silver Deming bit.

It's a Morse drill from 1995. I think it's s good drill. I think it's too small for an MT1. The side of the shank has been ground flat and has what appears to be a set screw seat. No idea what's going on...
I might try to weld up some meat and try your MT1&2 idea. Hardest part will be jigging it up in the lathe to get a good true taper. I'll never spin this drill bit would be nice if it was somewhat straight to bore good holes.

If it already has one flat on the shank, why not file two more flats at 120 deg so drill chuck jaws have a good seat.
Once the flats are roughed out, trial fits and a bit more careful filing could get it to hold pretty straight in a drill chuck.

Does the taper fit your tailstock? What's the bore size for your lathe..or what's the longest length you can put in the jaws still turn accurately?
Maybe this video will give you some ideas on how to hold the drill bit so you can chuck it up and turn the end true. I know the instructions are addressing the out of adjustment chuck, and you may need a boring bar to bore the bushing to size.

Back