Cutting large lead ingots

If indeed the size is 5" x 16" x 16" as the OP says, that's just under 525 pounds per slab in lead. Something to think about.

-frank

I have successfully melted off the amount I needed with a gas torch into the crucible.
Admittedly the blocks were only 25Kg but it was reasonably quick.

Band saw with lube otherwise torch. This is the way I do it at work.
Pierre

Thanks. Chiseling is out - my arm is a total wreck in the elbow so swinging a hammer is not an option. I have a 20 ton press here, but not sure if it would be powerful enough. Besides, getting the blocks on the press is also an issue. Log splitter might be the best option so far......
The 20 ton press would work but a log splitter cuts lead like butter and does it fast.

Thanks! I think my course of action is to get these cut into smaller blocks and proceed from there. I'm going to look around for a log splitter rental first. These things are not liftable by one person. Not 500lbs, but easily over 200lbs.....

I once did a magnesium fire demo. The pieces were cut off a large block with a striker and a handled hot cut held by the master smith. This tool will sink right in to a couple inches of hot steel.

Back