Cutting large lead ingots

brasssmanget

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I inherited 4 blocks of lead counterbalance weights recently. They are approx: 5" x 16" x 16". I need to find a way to cut them into manageable size blocks for melting down at some point in the future. I've seen videos of chainsaw cutting, but that scares me a little. I could drill 1000 holes and press break them into smaller blocks, but that seems like an awful lot of work. I think a band saw would plug up pretty quickly??

Not sure of any mix in the lead - it is pretty soft, but I'm sure there is some other mixture with it. Any ideas on cutting them??

I know this may seem crude...well I guess it is, but could you just take an axe and chop hunks off?

David

I have used an axe in the past. That can be rather iffy if you aren't too accurate with your swing though. I would suggest using a power wood splitter. Place the lead ingot on a block of wood. The splitter should make a quick job of it. No dust either.

edit: I see that Chips and more beat me to the post button!

Shot tower. There's nothing more convenient than shot, if you ever want to measure out a pound at a time.
You'll want some altitude, a funnel under the melt zone, and a barrel of water waiting below.

if you have a large metal funnel, and a torch. you could do what my dad did. PUt the led on a grate, over the large funnel. Stand with wind to your back, and then melt into pieces, and the melted stuff went down the funnel into a mold. He use to get 100 to 150 lb blocks of lead that were used for weights in the back of things during the winter to keep them on the road and help hold them down while plowing. Then in the spring it made other things out of them or mad lead bars and sold them.

Thanks. Chiseling is out - my arm is a total wreck in the elbow so swinging a hammer is not an option. I have a 20 ton press here, but not sure if it would be powerful enough. Besides, getting the blocks on the press is also an issue. Log splitter might be the best option so far......

Back