Curious why people need a small bandsaw for DIY?

Not really, like what i said, people here in Taiwan won't buy a machine and put them at house, if someone buy a machine, we will think they are running a factory. This is what my experience. But it seems many people in states are own a small saw or some mini machine at their house. i think it is very different from Taiwan.
The US used to be the manufacturer for the world and small what we would call hobby machines were made here. And were used in small manufacturing shops. Now the US hardly makes anything and Asia where nobody does machining as a hobby makes the West's small machines. That's a stunning reality.

When I was growing up, I knew 3 people with a welder, two pipe fitters and my grandfather, I knew 3 people who had mills and lathes, my grandfather and his two brothers, who ran a machine shop. Now about 50% of the people I know, have some kind of welder and about 30% own mills and lathes.

I grew up in a machine shop, so my continuation, now in my shop, seems like second nature.

There are a lot of self reliant people here I guess.
As stated above- Our history and landscape gives every American the opportunity to chart his own course.
Many of us have deep roots in the creative and self sufficient mindset of our forefathers. It is central to the foundation of this country.
I am truly thankful that I was born into this society.

Nicolas, your question is interesting. It's easy to forget that the rest of the world doesn't think as we do and doesn't understand why we think as we do.

For the original question, I have a very old 10" bandsaw that I bought at a junk shop and restored. Now that I have it, I wonder how I lived without it, it's just so convenient to cut things that would be a lot more work with other tools. I wanted it mainly for thin aluminum and that's what I used it for most, but I also used it for plastic and wood parts. As for going out to a commercial shop, that wouldn't be feasible even if there was a commercial shop within a half hour. Typically I'm working on something, need to cut out a part for the part quickly, then back to what I was doing.

But I also see that your question isn't just about bandsaws, you're trying to understand the American culture that, unlike most Asian cultures, buys and uses hobby/DIY tools. It's rooted in the early history of the country; a pioneer in his log cabin or a ranger out on the range didn't have access to many manufactured goods so he made things himself-- and had the tools to do it. That's no longer necessary for most people today, but the "I can make (or fix) this" attitude is still very present in the culture... though sadly it seems to be diminishing.

For some of us, having machine tools are just a means to an end. I'm an engineer, which means I make things, whether at work or at home, and I need tools to make the things I want. I guess that's the "DIY" category, though the term "maker" is also used. Then there's the true "hobby" machinist, who makes things just for the pleasure of it, and having nice tools is part of the pleasure. These are the guys who make fully functional miniature engines, or other neat but useless things. Most of us probably fall somewhere in between.

Nicolas, not only do we hobby machinists want to make things ourselves, sometimes by using only hand tools for the sake of tradition and other times with as many machines as we can afford to buy and house, but we also never throw anything away so that we can avoid buying materials. There are persons in North America who don't know the business end of a screwdriver but they don't come here. You might as well ask a fish why it swims as ask members here why we prefer to do stuff ourselves even if it costs more and takes more time.
Its what we do.

This has been an interesting thread because of all the points/factors that I'd not really thought of. Economic, population density all are factors. Many big names like Henry Ford, Edison, Tesla, and most of Silicon Valley, on and on started out with small workshops so I guess that counts as background history. But I think a lot of our old domestic machines were once used in shops and factories. I would guess a lot of the bigger manual machines like Bridgeports etc were put on the market when CNC came along. The de industrialization, economic downturns and machine shops retiring put another wave on the used equipment market. Some getting scrapped, but quite a few being affordable finally for the home shop. It's hard to quantify how many people do metal work at home in the general population. None of my circle of friends do DIY as most are musicians. But I don't feel so lonely in my pursuit of finally being able to make things the right way here amongst the other 30,000 other virtual metal workers here on H-M. But sometimes I do feel a little like Mad Max reusing, recycling, scrounging and up cycling stuff while repairing my old worn out and abused machines. :)

Where you are a machine at home is rare, I have a 10' x 20' area in my garage with a 9 x 31 vertical mill, a 12 x 28 lathe, a 4 x 3 welding fixture table, a MIG welder, a TIG welder, 2" x 48" belt/disc sander, and a 80 gal industrial air compressor. Outside in the back is a 20 ton press, with a finger brake for that, a 24" sheet metal pan brake too. I'm hoping to add a 16" x 24" x 24" band saw soon. When you are done with a primary career, I want to keep my mind functioning, similar to doing Sudoku puzzles. There are members, as well as other people who have way more room, and a bunch more machines, it's about capability, and getting back to basic manufacturing that we were known for, but on a much smaller scale. I hope this was clear. I would also like to add that there are many people here who have less, but are much more capable of doing more with less, who are truly gifted..

Last edited:
I would love a small metal cutting band saw or powered hacksaw.
Unfortunately I can only afford a small angle grinder.
My angle grinder gets one hell of a workout so I only buy the cheapest available.
Goint through 2"+ steel bar sure puts it through its paces.
Yep, huge cheapskate here.
I would still love a band or electric hack saw though.

Sav. about 5 years ago i bought a Bauer 5x5 band saw. when my horizontal gave out. $99. at HF and right now $89. on sale. Best thing i have purchased from HF. Use it quite often and to my surprise works well .

Where you are a machine at home is rare, I have a 10' x 20' area in my garage with a 9 x 31 vertical mill, a 12 x 28 lathe, a 4 x 3 welding fixture table, a MIG welder, a TIG welder, 2" x 48" belt/disc sander, and a 80 gal industrial air compressor. Outside in the back is a 20 ton press, with a finger brake for that, a 24" sheet metal pan brake too. I'm hoping to add a 16" x 24" x 24" band saw soon. When you are done with a primary career, I want to keep my mind functioning, similar to doing Sudoku puzzles. There are members, as well as other people who have way more room, and a bunch more machines, it's about capability, and getting back to basic manufacturing that we were known for, but on a much smaller scale. I hope this was clear. I would also like to add that there are many people here who have less, but are much more capable of doing more with less, who are truly gifted..
Total aside but I'd love to see a photo of how you have your shop arranged. Amazing number of machines and gear in that space!

I have 4 mills, 2 lathes, 7 saws, 4 plasma cutters, 13 welders, shaper, 3 drill presses, 4 surface grinder (one working and 3 for parts) and tons of hand tools. Its an obsession,

Back