Curious why people need a small bandsaw for DIY?

I always wonder why more people didn't use chop saws more , that's all I had until a few months ago , getting a HF portable band saw and mounting it vertically . Now I know !!! I used that so many times , not worrying about sparks flying or dragging everything outside . Making better cuts and to be able to cut into corners are just some of the reasons I'm hooked
So, is this means you now own a HF bandsaw?

Interesting thing about my 5x5 is that I can actually cut pieces that are much wider as long as they are not so thick So I can cut 1" x 9" or 2"x 8" and so on down to 4x 6 the next is of course 5 x5.

The trick is to stand the piece on edge and cut down until the arm contacts the piece, then turn it over and cut from the other side, can be a bit tricky lining up the cut but with a bit of practice it comes out pretty good, as long as that cut edge is going to be machined, no one will ever know. Or if it's going to be welded just dress it up with an angle grinder.

Next time I do one of these cuts, I'll try to remember to take some pics.

I agree on all the above reasons for using the small band saw. But I want to add another reason.
I used oxy-fuel to cut metal prior to acquiring my 4x6 band saw. I had to turn on oxy and fuel, set regulators, drag hoses outside, cut metal (sometimes not so good cuts with shaky hands, old eyesight etc). Then or at end of day, roll up hoses, turn off oxy and fuel, bleed gas from hoses and close regulators. Then had to grind off slag (detrimental to tooling) and some metal to get closer to dimension. After buying my saw, I just walk stock to saw, measure, clamp in vise, turn on saw, and do a little clean up in the shop if its a large cut. And cut is usually much closer to dimension.
I bought the saw used and it was a great investment and its not even in real good shape.
I don't like angle grinders with cut off wheels, mainly because of safety reasons. I have had and seen some pretty rough kick backs when someone makes a mistake with them.
Chuck

I would love a small metal cutting band saw or powered hacksaw.
Unfortunately I can only afford a small angle grinder.
My angle grinder gets one hell of a workout so I only buy the cheapest available.
Goint through 2"+ steel bar sure puts it through its paces.
Yep, huge cheapskate here.
I would still love a band or electric hack saw though.

My local shop is about $100/hr, with a $40 minimum, so you better be sure of the size and quantity before you go. In the long run, owning a saw was more economic, if you were doing multiple jobs, or it’s a long term hobby.

I would love a small metal cutting band saw or powered hacksaw.
Unfortunately I can only afford a small angle grinder.
My angle grinder gets one hell of a workout so I only buy the cheapest available.
Goint through 2"+ steel bar sure puts it through its paces.
Yep, huge cheapskate here.
I would still love a band or electric hack saw though.

Charles if you really like angle grinders check out this beast Makita GA5040C 1400W 125mm (5") Variable Speed Angle Grinder. I have had one for about 15 -18 years now and you cant kill it.

It runs full speed for 125mm wheels and you can slow it down to about 1100 RPM still at full torque. At this speed you can polish aluminium and other metals. I used it to polish the forks, clutch housing, and other parts of my 93 FXR Harley came up like brand new.

I've made a 7" guard for mine so I can run 7" wheels, have to slow it down a bit to the correct wheel speed, but it really cuts some metal. But I must confess that since I got my band saw it does most of my cutting except for things that won't fit in it, then out comes the big gun.

This beast has so much power that you really have top hang onto it 1400W that's just shy of 2 HP in your hands

I think it has more to do with Geography. When I look at the model engineer’s workshops in England... machinery is smaller and most items are dual purposed. Such as using the Boxford lathe as a milling machine and very seldom do I see the floor model bandsaw. Workshops tend to be small. Not a lot of 2-car garages in London. Of course, when I do see the English shop fully equipped, it’s usually not in London but instead it’s in a barn in a rural setting.
Taiwan appears to me to be a more urban setting with high population density. So you guys don’t have a lot of 2 car garages.
But America is a big country with a lot of space plus decent wealth for its middle class. FWIW... most of the New York City based workshops appear to be manufacturing based “home shops” in which the guy might be owner of a large manufacturer with 15-20 employees but he also has a corner dedicated for his hobbies. Those are probably guys who inherited their business and have pretty big warehouses in which they once had 50-75 employees.
Anyway, we have a lot of space in America and by and large we’re a fortunate bunch because we do have I high standard of living. I say it all the time.... even the poor are relatively spoiled in America.

I can appreciate the many ways of cutting metal but I will never allow a DRY abrasive cutoff saw in my shop. The grit and stink of the wheels is a total turnoff. If we have to cut off metal with a chop wheel we carry it outside and do it on the driveway.

I too can’t stand the usage of cut off wheels inside. Nasty dust and grit everywhere. Definitely outside and preferably in the grass because otherwise I have rust lines all over the driveway.

I too can’t stand the usage of cut off wheels inside. Nasty dust and grit everywhere. Definitely outside and preferably in the grass because otherwise I have rust lines all over the driveway.

I cut them outside, with ear protection on, mask, and a fan put a bit far away so it doesn't circulate dust back around.

I am sure face guard would help. Leather glove didn't help me. It went right through, almost took my finger off, at a brain dead moment.

Too many lung cancers going in my family. But thinking of the pain of millions needles in my lung would be enough to do that.

Back