Curious why people need a small bandsaw for DIY?

NICOLAS LIN

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
As the title says, I am a bit curious why people need a small bandsaw to cutting something by themselves? As i know most of our bandsaw sold to US market and lots of DIY brands machine also do as well, can anyone share why people need this kind of machine? like 4x6 small bandsaw or hacksaw...? In Taiwan, people doesn't do this very often, is it because high labor charge or any other reason cause people in US like to do it by themselves?

There is a saying, that if you borrow a machine, or have someone do it for you more than 2 times, you should buy your own machine. There are a lot of self reliant people here I guess.

i think the reason that most of us get small bandsaws is the ability to make many successive cuts in materials that may be time consuming to otherwise reduce to size.
i also think that the small sizes of the saws appeal to consumers due to their small footprint

but lastly, i think the potential to make things ultimately drives the sale

Actually Nicolas that is an interesting question. I wonder if Americans tend to have more building hobbies than people in other countries? I would guess more Americans build and tinker than tend gardens or animals? Seems pretty much everyone I know has a building hobby, either it be woodworking, metalworking, HO train layouts, etc. We also tend to be addicted to tools these days. I see more and more worthless tools of every kind being sold, not like years past. We also seem more impatient and therefore want powertools vs hand tools. Always bigger and faster is better. So given a bandsaw would speed up the work and that we like to work with power anything I would say those might figure in. Interesting to think about tho. Cheers from Arizona!

I agree with @vecair I think location play a big part in sale distribution.
Likely more saws are sold in smaller centres than in large metropolitan centres such as Manhatten for Toronto or example.

There is a saying, that if you borrow a machine, or have someone do it for you more than 2 times, you should buy your own machine. There are a lot of self reliant people here I guess.
Uhh, but is it not easy to call some maintenance shop to do this? i mean call for service is not easy? maybe needs to pay but it is easier, isn't?

Back