Curious why people need a small bandsaw for DIY?

Here's my thinking

Small: helps with space, cost, portability

Own: save time and cost to go to shop (very expensive) . We are very busy. Business charges a lot here to do anything simple, In fact, they may not cut anything due to low business demand for it.

Usability: it certainly helps cut metal quickly and quieter, less dust than angle grinder, and nicer cut.

Frequency: with metal, it is used alot to begin many projects.

Availability: we can cut it off business hour, especially for working people doing hobby projects

After screwing up the first two or three parts the shops get tired of cutting "just one more piece"

I wanted to do metal fabrication at home for all kinds of projects. And to have that done by a shop was so expensive I knew I could buy the tools for what the shop would cost and be able to do it myself. So logically I knew I needed a welder, an oxy/acetylene rig and a horizontal bandsaw. It's very much a chicken or the egg dilemma. Soon as I knew the basic needs I was able to find an old Lincoln arc welder for cheap used, a used OA rig and did a valve job on my sister in laws VW bus for the HF 4x6. The welder and the original OA rig are long gone but the 4x6 is still here. It is basic kit IMHO.

Uhh, but is it not easy to call some maintenance shop to do this? i mean call for service is not easy? maybe needs to pay but it is easier, isn't?

My local metal supply will cut at the time of purchase. Small stuff they can do with bolt cutters (rough), no charge, bigger stuff they will torch cut (rough) for I think $4 / cut or saw cut (better, but not precise) for either $6 or $8 / cut. My Harbor Fright 4x6 bandsaw at $200 paid for itself very quickly. In fact I think its first job was making about 20 cuts in 4x4 tube steel, that alone almost paid for the saw.

Plus what a hassle to have to haul your stock someplace else to get it cut when I can do it right here. I can only imagine the chore that is for people further out from civilization.

What I'd really like to see is a small 12-14" basic vertical metal cutting bandsaw in the $500 > range. All that I've seen are larger 14"+ and much more expensive $2000+ with built in blade welders and such, stuff I really don't need in a home shop. The vertical arrangement on the horizontal saws leaves much to be desired.

There are lots of wood bandsaws in this size / price class. Some people have put speed reducers on wood bandsaws to use on metal, but would be nice to have one purpose built instead of trying to convert one. Variable speed (even if through gear or belt change) to allow wood or metals would be even better.

I wonder if the average home shop size is larger than in Taiwan? That seems to be true for homes, and I think garages are smaller and maybe not as common as in the US. If you have the room, and the funds, which so far Americans seem to have in adequate amounts, a small bandsaw is almost a necessity for a serious hobby machinist. Please correct me if you don’t agree.

I used a Dewalt cold cut chop saw for quite some time for breaking down stock, but the vise on it is pretty terrible, and it was basicaly impossible to get a square cut. Another thing I didn't like about the chopsaw was the mess it made of the chips. The bandsaw is a lot slower, but it's quieter, cuts square and not as messy. I have a small 3 wheel vertical bandsaw that I found at an antique store for $45 and it is one of the most used tools in the shop now.

It's about time. By the time I take a part into a job shop to be cut and come back I have lost at least half a days work. A couple of times doing that more than pays for the saw.

Back