Curious why people need a small bandsaw for DIY?

Uhh, but is it not easy to call some maintenance shop to do this? i mean call for service is not easy? maybe needs to pay but it is easier, isn't?
For the things I use my machines for, I wouldn't even know where to start looking to find someone to do it for me. Much easier to just purchase the machine if I will use it regularly and do it myself.

i think the reason that most of us get small bandsaws is the ability to make many successive cuts in materials that may be time consuming to otherwise reduce to size.
i also think that the small sizes of the saws appeal to consumers due to their small footprint

but lastly, i think the potential to make things ultimately drives the sale
yeah, demand causes supply like chain action.

understood, sample and clear! are you own a small bandsaw?
Looking for one. Going for a 4x6 more than likely.
Currently I use the portable Harbor Freight saws for cutting, one is the old Central Machinery model the other a newer Bauer.

Uhh, but is it not easy to call some maintenance shop to do this? i mean call for service is not easy? maybe needs to pay but it is easier, isn't?

Well with the cost of things like that , having a shop do it, it would not be long before you paid for a saw. As Henry Ford once said "If you need a machine and don't buy it, you will ultimately find you have paid for it and don't have it." Shop rates around here are $80 to 120 an hour with a one hour minimum. So what two cuts and Henry is proven correct. And you have the satisfaction of getting it done right now and doing it yourself. That might even be the key to America:)

The shops that are here local to me are not always responsive to your needs, they say I'll call you when it's done. They are busy enough, and lack competition to worry about firing up the machine to do a quick cut. You wait in line to get jobs done.

As a plumber a Milwaukee deep cut band saw has been an important part of my life since I started the trade in 85. Only since joining this site last year have I learned that it has even more value clamped upside down in a vise serving as an excellent hobby saw.

We used to have a department store called Sears that had a good selection of tools at reasonable prices. People bought all kinds of stuff there for their hobbies, my dad built an airplane and I still have his small bandsaw. If you have somebody else cut your stock not only do you have to pay them, you have to inspect their work to make sure it's right.

When you own the tools needed to do the job you can just go and get it done. Many people buy steel in 20' lengths, a small bandsaw is perfect for cutting it down accurately.

John

Back