Crazy Threads...

Metric threading dials are crazy. The 14 tooth gear that’s on the dial now is one of a set of 5 interchangeable gears that usually come with a metric threading dial. See post #100 in this thread. (no pun intended)

Tom
I think it's safe to say I won't be using the thread dial anymore. it's turning out to be fairly useless on this lathe as is.

You did indicate that the lead screw had 8 threads per inch. So with that in mind all you need to do is get the gearing correct. Looking at the chart on your lathe I believe all you need to do is flip two of the gears to get it to cut imperial threads. Ken

Yes and no... it's complicated I suppose. I keep making discoveries from suggestions made. we've devised that I cannot use my thread dial in it's current form. but we have no discovered why my imperial threading is not right. currently I have to math out where about my gear train is wrong.

You did indicate that the lead screw had 8 threads per inch. So with that in mind all you need to do is get the gearing correct. Looking at the chart on your lathe I believe all you need to do is flip two of the gears to get it to cut imperial threads. Ken
Ya we've done that. selecting the metric gears does give me the appropriate threading. but the imperial setup does not. each gear box setting gives me 1/2 to 1 tpi less than what it's set for. totally not consistent and unable.

Shawn,
Did any extra change gears come with the lathe?

I do not find that the gear engagement diagram on the lathe for inch threads is clear.
Which shaft inputs to the gearbox?

Back