Craftsman bandsaws

i use vacuum cleaner belts as tires on a different type of craftsman bandsaw. i have changed alot of tires on all different types of bandsaws and never had to glue them. Usually the tires are so tight they have to be put in almost boiling hot water for a while to heat them up enough to stretch them on.

i use vacuum cleaner belts as tires on a different type of craftsman bandsaw. i have changed alot of tires on all different types of bandsaws and never had to glue them. Usually the tires are so tight they have to be put in almost boiling hot water for a while to heat them up enough to stretch them on.

Interesting .. The tires for this bandsaw are $25 each + shipping from Sears. Not very cost effective in my books.
Your idea seems more promising ..

There is a local vacuum shop that has a great parts counter.

I will drop by and post the results.

Tks !

yeah, my urethane tires on my delta l did not glue.
Sears still sells the tires, but I think they are about $23.00 each, i want to keep the cost down on this thing.
There is a fellow on OWWM that uses vacuum cleaner belts too.
Interesting .. The tires for this bandsaw are $25 each + shipping from Sears. Not very cost effective in my books.
Your idea seems more promising ..
There is a local vacuum shop that has a great parts counter.
I will drop by and post the results.
Tks !
Yeah, there too dear at sears, I only paid $50.00 for the bandsaw(s) (one is not complete)
I don't want to pay better than $50.00 for 2 tires.

I was doing a bit of research . yours looks like it maybe an Atlas made version.
I copied this note from some where.

" That metal-cutting bandsaw was in the 1969 Sears Craftsman tool catalog, No. 99 AT 22922N2 (with motor) for $149.95. The blade is 1/2" x 60" x .020" and is welded backwards to every other bandsaw I have seen. The saw looks a lot like the Taiwan pivoting cutoff saws that became common in the late 1970's, but is made backwards.

Do I have to turn the blade inside out?
Where are you getting your blades, or do you have them made up?
Sorry if you said already.

My cutoff saw doesn't have tires, and it works just fine.

Mr breezeet1

"Do I have to turn the blade inside out?
Sorry if you said already. "

I got a fairly new blade with mine. lucky score..
These are left handed saws ( kind of a joke with a friend and I )
If I needed a new blade I would be sure to order it for my application .
The saw cuts right to left as most newer saws cut left to right.

I disassembled my saw today, every thing looks to be in good condition.
Some of the shafts need to be cleaned from paint and grease. All the bushings look good too.
The beveled drive gear is nylon ! It has some wear but no concern for a 45+ year old machine.
The only other issue is the drop cylinder leaks a little ( maybe it needs a new seal ).

I also inspected the main castings for any signs of cracks and found nothing.

I buy most of my Tool stuff from Tegs Tools in Hamilton On.

www.tegstools.com

017.JPG 011.JPG

They say you can turn the blade inside out.
I have read that swarf builds up between the plastic gear and the pot metal gear, so they said you want to keep that area clean.
They said clusing still had that gear a few years ago, but they don't anymore, it is sold out.
Would www.tegstools.com sell the blades?

Mr breezeet1

"Do I have to turn the blade inside out?
Sorry if you said already. "

I got a fairly new blade with mine. lucky score..
These are left handed saws ( kind of a joke with a friend and I )
If I needed a new blade I would be sure to order it for my application .
The saw cuts right to left as most newer saws cut left to right.

I disassembled my saw today, every thing looks to be in good condition.
Some of the shafts need to be cleaned from paint and grease. All the bushings look good too.
The beveled drive gear is nylon ! It has some wear but no concern for a 45+ year old machine.
The only other issue is the drop cylinder leaks a little ( maybe it needs a new seal ).

I also inspected the main castings for any signs of cracks and found nothing.

I buy most of my Tool stuff from Tegs Tools in Hamilton On.

www.tegstools.com

As far as the swarf buildup , it's true. some build up on the drive wheel and bevel gear.
I am thinking about that. I will be designing of a blade brush for mine , ( I will post pics )

Tegs can custom order any type of blade to specs. ( they do not make them in house )
I would be cautious ordering a custom blade unless its from a supplier that is close to you ,
I have bought a vertical saw blade from another tool shop that had a bad weld and the blade was miss aligned.

I am not sure about turning the blades inside out. I just woke up brain's not in gear yet..

My nylon gear is in good shape but I would be interested in having a spare.

yeah, well l was lucky there, l think I did mention that I actually got 2 saws for one price.
One is pretty well complete, and one is missing part of the vise and the guide or something.
l am not really sure what all is what yet.
I don't know what all to keep if I do decide to part one of them out, or try to get or make the missing parts, and make up a second one to sell.
But I am pretty sure both gears are good.
I would like to have been able to get a spare gear too,just to have it.
I heard they were only about $9.00. but they are sold out.
Of course both of mine are missing the feed control cylinder (I think atlas calls it)
OK,well post your progress.
I have been fooling with the electric leadscrew drive for my Logan lathe too.

Back