Controlling Hazardous Fume and Gases during Welding

I'm fairly new to the site but i run my own welding company, mostly stainless tube for the drinks industry,
one article which i make all my guys read is this one, http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
Its about the dangers of tetrachloroethylene and other chlorinated hydrocarbons, sobering stuff, it's probably been posted before, if so then thats fine but if you havent read it then have a quick look, it might save you a lot of grief.

I'm glad other people have seen this and passed it along. So sad to be so preventable (in hindsight.)

This is another good thread about respirators related mostly to bike building, but #16 is especially informative about protection in general.

grab some hot aluminum and you'll be the bbq...
i've had so many guys grab aluminum things i've welded..."we'll it wasn't red"

Reminds me of the story in Brownells Gunsmith Kinks. The local know-it-all goes into the gunsmith shop and picks up a smoking hot freshly welded bolt knob. Puts it down 647 times faster than he picked it up, what's the matter asked the 'smith, hot? No, he replies, just doesn't take me long to look at a bolt job!

i have a filter outside on the wall next to my welding table that couples to my mask via teflon hose. i get clean air from outside. then have a suction vent to take out any smoke.. i never smell a thing unless my neighbor is BBQing...then I just get hungry.

Toolmaster:
Do you have any pics available?

Daryl
MN

About bending end of filler rod. Agreed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope I don't sidetrack here but related to welding safety. Im using one of the infamous HF auto darkening helmets to do occasional TIG welding. I was told the filter glass protects regardless of whether or not its in the "darkened" state. Hmmmm doesnt make sense but anyone have a credible source to either confirm or debunk this????

Hope I don't sidetrack here but related to welding safety. Im using one of the infamous HF auto darkening helmets to do occasional TIG welding. I was told the filter glass protects regardless of whether or not its in the "darkened" state. Hmmmm doesnt make sense but anyone have a credible source to either confirm or debunk this????

Here's a big "Debunk" from me. There are two basic models of HF helmet. The Blue Flame is the better one and can be used for DC TIG welding. There's a cheaper one which cannot be used for DC TIG welding because, DC is a continuous bright light with no flicker. It's the flicker from AC that constantly triggers the lens to remain dark. I grabbed the wrong helmet one day -and boy, what a surprise. It was too brief to be considered an official "flash" but, it was close and I saw spots for a minute or two.

Ray

I have both with and without flames an have yet to have a problem. I check to see if it's charged by looking at my shop light yes it will set it dark. Now I did have one go bad so it was trashed that is why I have two just for back up. I've got four of the old style but with my eye sight and flipping the helmet down I like the instant better.

Todd

I have both with and without flames an have yet to have a problem. I check to see if it's charged by looking at my shop light yes it will set it dark. Now I did have one go bad so it was trashed that is why I have two just for back up. I've got four of the old style but with my eye sight and flipping the helmet down I like the instant better.

Todd

If you're doing stick welding (even DC) the cheaper one will do fine because the splatter flickers enough to keep the lens dark. DC TIG is pure light with virtually no flicker. If you look at the instruction manual on that cheaper unit, it says "Not for TIG welding". The Blue Flame works and does not have any use-case restrictions in the instruction manual.

Ray

i will only use the big view lincoln helmet auto....all the others i have tried have been too slow no matter what settings...you add up those milliseconds of flash and you'll have some tan eyeballs

Back