Controlling Hazardous Fume and Gases during Welding

Last year I welded some used oilfield pipe, made me pretty sick. The Pulmonoligist reports I have lost 40% of my lung capacity. It may be permanent. From firsthand experience, please work safe.

i have a filter outside on the wall next to my welding table that couples to my mask via teflon hose. i get clean air from outside. then have a suction vent to take out any smoke.. i never smell a thing unless my neighbor is BBQing...then I just get hungry.

I worked my way through college making HO model train kits. I did all the casting myself both polyester resin and tin-lead-antimony centrifugal spin casting. Like a dope, I operated the melting pot (furnace) with no respirator. The fumes from the tin-lead-antimony combination, which were colorless and virtually odorless, gave me permanent intestinal problems. Now I know the effects that metal fumes can have.

grab some hot aluminum and you'll be the bbq...
i've had so many guys grab aluminum things i've welded..."we'll it wasn't red"

Three rules of the welding shop:
1. Never look at the pretty blue light.
2. Never touch red metal.
3. Assume all metal is red.

There could be more, but those three seem to cover the worst of it.

Three rules of the welding shop:
1. Never look at the pretty blue light.
2. Never touch red metal.
3. Assume all metal is red.

There could be more, but those three seem to cover the worst of it.

4. Never breathe the pretty smoke (or the ugly stuff either).

Bend the end of the filler rod. saves from pokin your eye out

you know, that's so obvious that it never occurred to me!

So, for those of you that do vent, what do you use?

I just work outside. Not too convenient this time of year, but my shop is small and I don't weld that much anyway (and when I do it's often stuff like loader arms that wouldn't fit inside). I do do small-scale brazing on things like bandsaw blades inside. For that I don't worry about fumes.

Back