Controlling Hazardous Fume and Gases during Welding

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Thought this might be interesting.
Please find the attached OSHA Fact Sheet distributed by Lincoln.

Attachments

• OSHA_FS-3647_Welding.pdf
    405.4 KB · Views: 80
don't worry, your lungs will filter the air.

It's not often I get a bee in my bonnet,but now is one of those times.Hobby welders should take their OH &S seriously.Firstly ,thanks to Uglydog for the post.

A half smart flippant answer does nothing to inform the original poster and others about a subject where lack of knowledge of what you are dealing with, has potential to kill or harm you badly.

I have been in the metalfab welding industry one way or another since 1969.There are so many metals that can harm you from inhaling over a long or short terms ,depending on the metal. Observe how many old timers there are in the welding industries. I got off the workshop floor 30 years back because I saw too many of my work mates incapacitated through welding and smoking.If you are in the industry,take a look around .You do not see many old guys because the industry is very physical and hard on the body
I still weld at home on a regular basis and take my precautions very seriously.

Use some means to prevent inhaling the by products of welding whether its a filter ,a fume removal tube or just a straight electric fan blowing the gases away from your breathing zone,from behind.

Galvanised metals, stainless steels and coated metals represent significant hazards to home welders. The zinc coating on pipe when welded turns to a gas which has killed asthmatics.
As a young welder working on gal pipe gates it caused a metal flume fever.Look it up.It's not pleasant folks. Also look up maganism, a disease cause by the fumes from hydrogen controlled electrodes.

Lung disease of any variety is not a pleasant way to die.It takes a long time and is painful. Don't let it happen to you.

Keep safe! welders.

Ozwelder

As one of the old guy welders I have lung disease pretty bad. When I was young and tough I didn't concern myself with safety because I was indestructible. Found out the hard way that aint so. Take the time to at least read the PDF above and take appropriate action or you WILL end up like me, and it aint purty when I have to call an ambulance to take my unable to breath butt to the hospital flopping and gasping for breath. It is a grizzly disease and trust me you don't want what I got EVER. Maybe one day I will post a "Day in the life of" segment so everybody can see what I have been reduced to...And the meds I am forced to take just to survive another day.

Bob

Warning! This thread is becoming contentious and that will stop now. If you do not have something to add to the content of this post please try to keep them to yourself. If you are unable to I can remove them faster than You can write them and take appropriate action against the offender. So lets get back on track and keep our comments positive or at least related.

Bob

I'm fairly new to the site but i run my own welding company, mostly stainless tube for the drinks industry,
one article which i make all my guys read is this one, http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
Its about the dangers of tetrachloroethylene and other chlorinated hydrocarbons, sobering stuff, it's probably been posted before, if so then thats fine but if you havent read it then have a quick look, it might save you a lot of grief.

Last edited:
I'm fairly new to the site but i run my own welding company, mostly stainless tube for the drinks industry,
one article which i make all my guys read is this one, http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
Its about the dangers of toluene and other chlorinated hydrocarbons, sobering stuff, it's probably been posted before, if so then thats fine but if you havent read it then have a quick look, it might save you a lot of grief.

Toluene is not chlorinated. It's an aromatic hydrocarbon: methylbenzene. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toluene

Fellas,

Safety is the issue in this thread and it is a very important issue on our forum. Just because some people compromise their safety doesn't mean we should.

Messages shouldn't be posted in all caps- it's considered shouting and rude. Likewise, there is no need to refer to someone as "ignorant" or throw a fit because you disagree with them. We don't do that on here. We treat each other with respect, even when we disagree. There is no other way to run a forum that has a broad participant base like ours.

Please... be courteous to one another.

I also want to thank Daryl for starting this thread, as safety needs to be foremost in our minds when working the shop, whether it is for work or for fun.

Thanks also to Ozwelder, Bob Beckett, The Landshark and John Hasler for speaking up on this important topic. We cannot take our safety or health for granted - ever!

Back