Controlling Hazardous Fume and Gases during Welding

Todd,

It's good that you brought it up. These are serious matters.

Yeah, I have both the Blue flame and the all-black (cheaper one). I used them interchangeably for a long time w/o a problem but one day, I got semi-flashed with the black one. I figured it was shot so I tested it with a sparker and it was working fine. Went back to the TIG and bingo, it was acting up again. WTH??? It occurred to me I was TIGging at low amps on a tiny piece of carbon metal. When I TIG, it's usually aluminum which is always AC and that helmet never failed me. I put 2+2 together and realized it can't trigger on just bright light. It needs a flicker. Old too soon, smart too late... I read the label inside the helmet and it says "Not for TIG". The Blue Flame says OK for use on any arc process.

We live, we learn... Fortunately, after the first semi-flash, I was being careful and not training my eyes on the arc as I carefully experimented...

Ray
"
Ray I guess you pushed a button so I went out and looked at both of my helmets and they both "For All Arc Welding Processes" Not for Laser Welding or Oxy welding.
I've enclosed pics of the helmets and the tags now I do know HF has multiple helmets for sales I may have just been lucky to get these two. Now if you read the manuals nether is any good for Tig Welding on page 4 it states Not For Tig Welding. Now looking at the Miller line they say Tig 20amp, the Elite Tig 5amp or do they mean it works at. I know we all have are favorites and likes but from what has been discussed there are not any good choices out there for the home shop.

• :allgood:

Todd

2014-03-28 16.38.37.jpg 2014-03-28 16.39.02.jpg 2014-03-28 16.39.58.jpg

Attachments

• 91214.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 46092.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back