Come to Hawaii

Great to know for next time, it may be heat labile. I did a hot soak in the shower, and the itch seems much less right now. :encourage:
The pasture flies are more lovable than that, you keep em.

I'll come over on one condition Mike . I'll bring my Upper New York black flies with me . They'll take take care of those pesky centipedes in a heartbeat . :)

how many do you want, we also have shad flies and some pretty aggressive mosquitoes, I can throw in, flat rate box??

Last edited:
I didn't even know there were biting centipedes?!
R

Centipedes? pthhh, pop over to Oz for some really cool bugs :laughing:
My hates are sand flies, cant see them, dont feel them biting, once the itching starts it continues for ever (or so it seems)
I scratch and scratch and scratch till they bleed then pour isopropl over them which hurts like hell but take the brain numbing itch away for a few mins.

It's all fun....I got bit Friday night on the left knee, tore the bed apart could not find the critter. Saturday night I got lit up 2 more times. I woke up to the bite on my left hand, but it seems it got my right index finger too. I have been suffering with terrible itchiness even with creams, and the sum b!tch was less than 2" long. A baby centipede that met it's demise, but already did it's damage.....
Keep an eye on those bites. I heard that centipede bites can be nasty. Watch for long term effects.

Centipedes? pthhh, pop over to Oz for some really cool bugs :laughing:
My hates are sand flies, cant see them, dont feel them biting, once the itching starts it continues for ever (or so it seems)
I scratch and scratch and scratch till they bleed then pour isopropl over them which hurts like hell but take the brain numbing itch away for a few mins.

Witch Hazel is what we used

Centipedes freak me out. And I didn't even know they bit like that... Get some ointment on that!

I remember in Maine we had our pests but nothing that would do that much damage. We had several orders of magnitude in volume from "no see ums" and black flies to mosquitoes to deer flies to horse flies to moose flies. Seemed like it was always a bad bug season for one or more of those. As a kid we used to go out and hunt moose flies with wiffle-ball bats (not kidding!). The moose flies were the size of a small bumble bee and boy they bit hard.

Skeeters are a MAJOR pain here in the summer I'm gonna put up some swallow nest boxes around the place to help battle them.
Hoping to find a good supply of skeeter fish to plant in the irrigation ditches on my place when the water gates are opened...

Back