Collet vs. End Mill Holder

Mike would be better to answer than me for recommendations. I'm just a hobby guy that plays around in my garage.

I use ER-40 (for other reasons), biggest conventional end mill I use is 5/8". I do use a 1" indexable end mill sometimes. Bigger than that I use facemills & fly cutters. I just have a benchtop size mill/drill.

For 3/8" and smaller I use ER-16. I really only use my R8 collets to hold tools (not end mills).

The biggest shank I hold in an ER collet is 5/8. The cutter may vary in size but the shanks I use max at 5/8". I am after accuracy and for the tooling I have, the ER system is the most accurate set up. I also have Crawford R8 collets but as good as they are, an ETM or Technicks ER collet held in an ETM collet chuck and nut will beat them for accuracy.

I have ER40, ER32 and ER20 chucks and collets for my mill. The size used depends on access; sometimes I can't get close enough with the bigger chucks.

I no longer own any end mill holders. Gave them to a buddy a long time ago. Like Will, I use R8 to hold fly cutters and such but for end mills, I've committed to the ER system.

But your other belts that hold up the Gi have a decidedly different ranking.:)

The biggest shank I hold in an ER collet is 5/8. The cutter may vary in size but the shanks I use max at 5/8". I am after accuracy and for the tooling I have, the ER system is the most accurate set up. I also have Crawford R8 collets but as good as they are, an ETM or Technicks ER collet held in an ETM collet chuck and nut will beat them for accuracy.

I have ER40, ER32 and ER20 chucks and collets for my mill. The size used depends on access; sometimes I can't get close enough with the bigger chucks.

I no longer own any end mill holders. Gave them to a buddy a long time ago. Like Will, I use R8 to hold fly cutters and such but for end mills, I've committed to the ER system.
So your er holders are r8 adapters, meaning r8 to ERx?

What is your mill native holder type?

mikey, do you have any measurements comparing the accuracy of the end mill holders you used and your ER collets? Did the end mill holders disappoint you in any other way than accuracy? I ask because in my limited experience with entry level Weldon holders and ER collets, the holders are more convenient, less expensive and perfectly adequate for what I do. No end mill ever came loose in the holder. But I might be missing something.

More money would probably get me more accuracy with either type. Of course the ER system is more versatile and has other uses so it would make sense to invest in high quality ER parts.

Last edited:
I have a lot of double ended mills. I guess I will be using R8 collets on those. Maybe get a holder for my 1/2" and 3/4" single end end mills. Good discussion guys!
Robert

Back