Collet Set...

You need to use a drawbar so no through hole like you would have with a 5C or ER collet chuck.

Well, I could construct a draw bar through my hollow spindle with a nut assembly on the other side. And these collets are threaded to accept a 3/8" draw bar.

Edit... pardon me, the use of the collets would be for lathe milling.

Well it would probably work for what you want, but if you went with RJ's suggestion, then you'd find the collets were useful for lots of other machining tasks (the pass through capability of 5C or ER is very useful).

The MT collets are fine, but no pass through and limited selection - when there are other good methods for holding end mills (if it is just for an occasional need) or a better purchased system (as RJ has pointed out).

Let us know how you make out.

I suppose I have some thinking to do.. Budget is the issue. Something I can make myself would be more desirable. Something I could tackle over the holiday.

A quick google search showed me a er-40 collet chuck I could probably make.
Basically a barrel nut that threads on my spindle with a compression threaded collar on the other end with the er-40 taper. Crank the collar on to hold the collet.... whaddya think?

I think it would at least get me on the ground running to make various other parts such as the vertical cross slide. Until a better system can be purchased in the future.

461A81AE-2692-4B12-A292-B07AC50F07EA-2211-000006B5A6967307_tmp.jpg

Well, I could construct a draw bar through my hollow spindle with a nut assembly on the other side. And these collets are threaded to accept a 3/8" draw bar.

Edit... pardon me, the use of the collets would be for lathe milling.

From the three methods available to me (ER32 collets, MT3 collet, or Sheldon end mill holder) the Sheldon end mill holder would be most precise and positive for holding an end mill.
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/e-m-holder-mt-3-3-8.html

A 3/8ths drawbar is still required for the Sheldon holder.

I have a milling set-up for my lathe but have yet to use any of the MT3 collets on hand for anything.

Last edited:
Could I use a 5c collet in the same compression manner? Seems my local store has more obtainable collets in 5c. Unless I buy er25 with an r8 collet attachment for double the price...

A quick google search showed me a er-40 collet chuck I could probably make.
Basically a barrel nut that threads on my spindle with a compression threaded collar on the other end with the er-40 taper. Crank the collar on to hold the collet.... whaddya think?

I think it would at least get me on the ground running to make various other parts such as the vertical cross slide. Until a better system can be purchased in the future.

That sounds like a great idea. I bet that you would enjoy making an ER chuck to fit your spindle.

You mentioned this in another thread, didn't you? I think at the time I had no idea what you were talking about. Hahaha.

Back