Collet Set...

I would think that an ER-32/40 would be more versatile and the least expensive of the options. Accuracy wise, the ER collets have a least TIR of the collet systems mentioned. You can get an ER-32 chuck that can be mounted to a back plate, or a direct mount for D1-3 or 4 for around $90, and an 18 piece ER-32 collet set for under $100. You are into it for less than the MT-3 set, or 5C collets would cost without a chuck, and be able to use it to hold stock and mill on the lathe. If just to hold end mills, you usually only need a few sizes as the shank is usually some increment of 1/8". There is always the option of making your own ER collet chuck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Pc-ER32-Spring-Collets-Set-Collet-ER-32-ER-32-New-/391650874125
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tool-Holders-HHIP-3901-5032-ER-32-Collet-Chuck-80-mm-Diameter/322345338083
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HHIP-3901-5033-Collet-Chuck-for-ER-32-100-mm-Diameter-/192048036203

I found the limited clamp range of MT collets to be slightly annoying, also i had to tap the draw bar quite hard sometimes to pop them lose so I much prefer my er32 collet chuck for that.

I have a round coloum mill so keeping the tool height similar is quite useful to reduce the moving up and down which I often had to do if i changed to a drill chuck.

Stuart

Could I use a 5c collet in the same compression manner? Seems my local store has more obtainable collets in 5c. Unless I buy er25 with an r8 collet attachment for double the price...
When using for work holding, 5C collets have a limited clamping range compared to ER collets. 1/32" increments would be the minimum useful with 1/64" a better choice. Having to buy more collets for complete coverage will quickly eat up any savings.

In my mill/drill, I use R8 collets for holding drill bits rather than a chuck. The reasons: more vertical work space by losing the chuck and better concentricity.

I just ordered a small set of er-32 collects 1/4"-1/2". That should hold the few end mills I have. I'll make a chuck when they arrive. Exciting!

I'll take some ideas for chucks that people like, if they'd like to share?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take some ideas of chucks that people like, if they'd like to share?

I've just got one of the cheep generic ones, it's actually quite well made. I did buy it from a domestic supplier so maybe they have just been carful to import reasonable ones.

Worth checking if they come with the spanner, i stupidly didnt and ordered a spanner because the chuck was so cheep i just presumed it didnt come with one. :)

I have noticed a difference in the nuts, i have a through hole er32 chuck for my lathe and the nut on that is a bit more fiddly than the mt3 one, sometimes i have to put the collet in the nut empty then put the thing to be held in it or i cant get the collet into the nut. Both function well apart from that and eject the collet properly.

Stuart

I'll make a chuck when they arrive.

Might I suggest you buy the nut. less than $15.00 if you're lucky. I made my own base unit, pretty easy. When you bore the taper, make very sure your tool is exactly on center. the bore will not be a straight cone otherwise, but either fat or thin in the middle.

I was hoping to buy the cap... save from screwing up some likely higher precision work. Any ideas where I might find one?

Go to eBay and type "ER32 collet nut" into the search bar. Less than $10 w/ free shipping. Might not have it before Christmas, though.

Go to eBay and type "ER32 collet nut" into the search bar. Less than $10 w/ free shipping. Might not have it before Christmas, though.
That's the part that's bugging me... I'm looking at amazon, but I don't think it's much better for timing. Bummer...

Back