1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

[CNC] CNC from sketch to part the way I do it

Discussion in 'CNC IN THE HOME SHOP' started by jumps4, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Dan_S

Dan_S Active User Active Member

City:
    Champaign
    State:
    Illinois

-Return to Top-

ho are you dealing with screw flex and twist, and all the other forms of backlash, with a single loop sevo system? Are you deriving the velocity and acceleration inputs from the position inputs of the scales?

I don't think it's a software issue, as much as it is the nature of the beast. with all the possible hardware combinations I think it would be cost prohibitive to design and build a control that handles everything really well in a plug and play fashion. The number one thing the industry does, is buy matched drive and motor sets. They are essentially plug and play, because someone did the toning for you, but they are super expensive and only work well as a matched set.

2. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Yes, the only position inputs the controller sees is the feedback from the scales. The update rate is so fast (about 62 uS) that the motion profile is very smooth. Of course, you have to properly tune the system for the mass and motors to get things to work correctly. This compensates all of the backlash and other errors, the controller calculates everything by position over time.

I can usually manually tune a system in about 5 minutes.

3. jumps4

jumps4 Global Moderator Staff Member Active Member

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

In this video I try to show how I adjust my gigs without over-tightening them
    I hope this makes sense, I keep saying 1.8 or 1. something as an amount of travel, I mean 1.8 of a thousandth
    sometimes I have problems expressing to others what I'm thinking. the brains running I just cant get my mouth in the right gear.
    thanks for viewing
    steve

[video=youtube;S6RELpadoTQ]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  4. angelfj1

angelfj1 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Downingtown
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

Steve: Not to worry about having a college degree or not. You have demonstrated that you are a true professor regarding the operation of these hobby mills.
    Two words come to mind; brilliant and practical.

Keep it coming.

Frank
    :))

5. angelfj1

City:
    Downingtown
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

Steve: I'm ordering a G0704 this week, before Grizzly's 10% sale is over. Before I order the components for a CNC conversion, I intend to give Dan (Hoss) a call and ask about his new , not released yet (PhaseIII) CNC conversion for the 704 type mills. From what I have read so far, he intends to use double ball nuts. Since I don't really know what this means, I was wondering if double ball nuts are used to address some of the problems you have been discussing in these latest posts, e.g. error levels, etc. What do you think?

Frank
    :))

6. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

hi frank
    I have single ball-nuts in my machines and they all seem to have about .0015 thousands backlash. for my use and the fact mach3 compensates for this I could not see the expense of 2 ball-nuts (plus loss of axis travel to make room for them ) unless I was going to larger screws to eliminate as much torque in the screw as possible also. If I was to build another mill I'd put the screws outside the table instead of under so I could use a 25mm screw and then yes double ball-nuts. Just adding my 40lb vise to the table weight adds another .0015 of backlash due to the screw twisting.
    I try to keep myself in the lower cost hobby use of cnc and chasing the last little bit of accuracy will have you pulling your hair out thinking about room temperature, material temperature, load on table, cutter force.
    It's more knowing your machine than buying the best parts. I'm not making parts that require perfection in every area so if I really need a perfect circle in an exact spot I'll have the cnc cut it small and then I'll pull out the boring bar to finish it. I use my cnc to get the bulk of the work done and then I bring it into spec as required. It is easy to make certain sections of your part undersize by telling your cam software your cutter is a few thousands larger than it really is. this leaves material for you to remove later to come into spec. you can always take more off but putting it back on isn't that easy.
    steve

7. angelfj1

City:
    Downingtown
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

Thanks Steve. As usual you make perfect sense. Can you say a little more about why a double ball nut is used?

Frank

8. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

sorry Frank
    after reading my reply again I see I never answered your question. :nuts:
    my single ball-nuts have .0015 backlash because of clearance between the balls and the housing and screw. the ball-nuts with circuit tubes you can remove. you purchase larger balls to remove this backlash. double ball-nuts have a spring in between the 2 nuts forcing them away from each other to take up this backlash. double circuit ball nuts are different also because they have two circuits of balls and are built for heavier loads.
    steve

double nut graphic.jpg bouble ball nut.jpg double circuit ball-nut.jpg double circuit ball-nut graphic.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  9. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

while on the subject of backlash I want to mention these BK style preload bearings for the end of the ballscrew from china. All the parts are there to make a really good bearing but they come out of the factory defective ( I have installed probably 20 of them ) the inner and outer races of the opposing bearings are the same height so without a spacer installed inside between the two outer races you cannot add preload to the bearing by tightening the nut on the ballscrew. this only makes the two inner races contact each other before pressure is being applied to the outer races. a thin spacer installed inside the housing between the two outer races fixes this problem and removes all the backlash from the bearing.
    steve

bk style preload bearings.jpg

10. angelfj1

City:
    Downingtown
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

Steve, this is very interesting but its a lot of trouble and $$$ for a hobby machine. You have already shown how Mach3 can compensate for backlash!!!

Frank

11. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

It has been a while since I have done any drawing in here so I took the time to record making a part for an old steam engine project I haven't worked on in about 4 years. I'd like to get this thing done and out of my shop but I burn out working on it from time to time. I probably first began this project 8 years ago.
    this first video shows what the part will be and how I designed it.
    thanks for viewing
    steve

[video=youtube_share;2lJefp80Vwo]

- - - Updated - - -

this video shows some cad corrections in Emachineshop and converting the drawings into g-code in D2NC
    thanks for viewing
    steve

[video=youtube_share;Ipazd_GoXEY]

bpratl likes this.
  12. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

this video shows machining the profile on one side of the part, I didn't record everything
    there are also pics of the part as the machining progressed;
    thanks for viewing
    steve

[video=youtube_share;RZP6IOqbgzI]

DSCF1213.JPG DSCF1212.JPG DSCF1211.JPG DSCF1210.JPG DSCF1209.JPG DSCF1208.JPG DSCF1207.JPG DSCF1206.JPG DSCF1204.JPG DSCF1203.JPG DSCF1202.JPG DSCF1201.JPG DSCF1200.JPG DSCF1199.JPG DSCF1198.JPG DSCF1197.JPG DSCF1196.JPG DSCF1195.JPG DSCF1194.JPG DSCF1193.JPG DSCF1191.JPG DSCF1190.JPG

13. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

this is a photograph of the finished shaft coupling installed. I may rough it up a little to look like a cast part.
    steve

DSCF1214.JPG

14. wquiles

wquiles United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Dallas
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Very cool - thanks much for the videos :))

15. thebaconbits

thebaconbits United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Lutz
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Too awesome!!

16. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I haven't given up here I'm just trying to get my model done and out of my shop. it has been 6 years off and on. I would put it aside until my skills got better then start working on it again. I'm finally ready to finish it. Since I plan On giving it to the town where the mill is located I'm hoping to get locals there to donate a Glass enclosure and cabinet.
    http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=6463&p=206763#post206763
    steve

17. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Something happened today I thought I would share with the group, in my e-mail I received a nice compliment and invitation From Emachineshop.com. They are asking others and myself who have made videos about Emachineshop on YouTube to assist them with short videos In their monthly Newsletter. I guess my videos weren't as boring as I thought.
    That is really nice of them to ask me and I'll post my reply after I have spoken to them about what is involved.
    Steve

" To:jumps42009
    Hi,
    We were happy to see your videos on YouTube featuring the eMachineShop free CAD software.
    We are developing a section in our monthly newsletter showcasing those that have made YouTube videos using our software.
    Would you be interested in becoming a showcased designer/machinist in our new section?
    We are aiming for short videos that move quickly through instruction. So if you are interested, please reply back with a few recommendations for review. As an fyi, we will link directly to your YouTube channel.
    Looking forward to your reply.
    The Best,
    Dawn
    eMachineShop.com "

18. SpoonHead

SpoonHead Swarf Registered Member

City:
    York
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

This thread is great thank you .

19. kgaby

kgaby Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Burton
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Steve, I have learned alot from your videos. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge. I am very new to cnc and you have been a great help to me in learning. Thank you!

20. Rick Leslie

Rick Leslie United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Macon
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

It's awesome that the software company wants you to do a short tutorial on their product! I need to go to the Youtube channel and check out the videos. I know you explained the modeling process better than I found anywhere else. This thread is what kept my interest in my little CNC conversion and helped the project progress. I was lost once I got ready to model until your thread.

Thank you from a CNC/CAD newbie!

21. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

It has been awhile since i have added anything to this thread and I finally have a project I think will be interesting and challenging to add.
    I was recently contacted by Bill Gruby about assisting him making 2 parts for his 18 cylinder Radial engine build.
    ( ADD Bills thread here )
    I was a bit puzzled by Bill's request because if any of you know Bill he is very interested in Cnc but honestly doesn't need it to accomplish
    the many things he builds and shares here in the forum. I have yet to see anything he could not make and was sure he could make these parts.
    Bill mailed me the prints for the 2 cams for the engine and the directions for machining them manually that were included with the plans.
    The challenge became immediately apparent as I read the directions and imagined myself trying to follow them and what my end results would have been.

To just machine out the cam lobe profiles on on the rotary table there would be 280 separate 1 degree moves of the rotary axis and the Y axis that
    have to be at the same time, meeting at the same end point to ensure a good finish. you would have to keeps in mind the machines backlash and reset the dial to zero for each change in y axis direction.
    that is a .001 to .003 move in y and 1 degree of table movement 280 times to complete 8 cam lobes. and there are 2 of these cam rings.
    If you tried to move one axis then the other the finish on the part would be a series of very small steps around the entire profile that would need to
    be finished smooth by hand when done.
    reading each line of the directions then preforming the move without any mistakes and not getting a headache would be beyond anything I have ever done.
    one mistake and the part is scrap and there are 2 of these that need to be exact to run right.
    anyone who knows 4 stroke engines and the effect of any changes to a camshaft have on performance would see the problem here.
    these cams can be made and the motor will run but the difference is in how smooth and steady the motor runs can very a lot.
    this is a real determining factor in how all the work to everything else made comes out in the running of the model engine.
    So with all that said how will I do this on a Cnc 4 axis mill is the next question and the answer was not as easy as I expected.
    there are different types of 4th axis functions and most wont work for this part.
    In most 4th axis setups on a Cnc mill the rotary axis is mounted standing up facing the z axis from one of the four opposing directions available
    X+ X- Y+ and Y-.
    Different types of cam software's do different types of operations from different locations of z to the axis. z axis centered behind or in front of the
    center of the rotary axis is used to make things like gears.
    for my examples the rotary axis is mounted on the left side of the x axis facing z.
    for the setup I just described the x axis moves back and forth as the y axis increases the depth of cut and z doesn't move.
    when each operation at that location completes y backs out from z the the rotary axis turns to the next location and repeats the operation.
    this is 4th axis indexing and can be done with z above or to the side of the center of the rotary axis.
    This operation will not work for a cam lobe.
    the next type of 4th axis operation is called wrapping.
    wrapping takes a drawing that is in x y plane and converts all the y or x moves ( determined by the rotary axis location )
    into rotary axis rotation at a given circumference. if the y or x axis length 2" then you will wrap that around a circle with a circumference of 2".
    z is lowered on each line and follows it at one set depth. raising and lowing to cut each line.
    This will not work to cut a camshaft.
    the next type of rotary axis operation is rotary axis turning. in this operation the rotary axis rotates and the cutter removes material at a set z depth,
    like a lathe operation.
    this won't work for a cam lobe.
    the next operation is rotary axis contour turning
    in this operation the rotary axis rotates and the z axis moves up and down and the x axis side to side as the part is rotated
    this can make a cam lobe but only with a ball end mill and the finish would be a series of lines around the cam as the cutter moved in x direction.
    this would be smoother than hand making the part and more accurate but would still have to be hand finished.
    you can't cut the profile in one pass with a flat bottom end mill eliminating the ridges a ball cutter would leave because the flank side of the cutter
    as z moved down would cut
    into you lobe as it lowers.
    If I did do it with the ball end mill and decided the finish would be acceptable to polish out, the end mill would have to be less than an 1/8" because the
    cam lobes in each row are that close to each other.
    this will not cut bills cam to the desired result.
    so to do this with a standing rotary axis to a close to desired result the y axis will have to move also so the cutting surface on the flat cutter moves
    from center to flank as the z axis lowers and face to center as the z axis raised and the cam lobe rotation crosses center. since the
    face and flank shape of the cutter contacting the lobes will be concave and the lobe would have to be cut by stepping in from the side in small increments
    to keep from leaving lines like the ball end mill.
    this software for for this type of 4th axis operation is very expensive and I don't have it.
    this is Not an available choice for bills camshaft from me.

Since 2006 I have tried demo software's whenever available and I have never seen the 4th axis operation I need for this project
    I want to cut with the side of the cutter so the cutter will not leave lines around the circumference. one finish pass at a set depth from start to finish.
    to do this the rotary axis has to be mounted on the mill table facing up centered with z axis and all the moves to make the lobes have to cut in
    either y or x direction away from zero.
    the reason I haven't seen this approach to rotary axis is because a Cnc milling machine can cut this shape without the need of a rotary axis. by moving x and y in any direction
    it can cut any shape. makes sense right.
    well not for Bills cams.
    on Bills cams as your looking down on the print there are undercuts that come in from the sides with the part mounted in this direction.
    the cutter has to step in from the side below the upper cam to cut the lower cam.
    I'll have to cut this from the side with a Woodruff key seat cutter.
    problem solved? well almost. true I can set the z height to the correct cam lobe height then with the software I have move in and cut the cams Outside diameter by moving the x and y axis until I have moved all the way around the part, lower z and repeat for the next cam shape.
    then move out and up to clear the upper lobe.
    a little hand coding and it could be done that way.
    well not with my machine and mach3.
    mach3 backlash compensation works perfect in a linear move but has trouble working in an arc. I have .0015 backlash in x and in y.
    the end result will be four or more bumps in the surface of the cam where mach3 compensated for the backlash.
    where to go from here...
    I have it figured out and I know how to accomplish what I need to do but I'm tired of typing and will post how I'm going to do it and show what I am doing in another series of posts with pics and maybe videos .
    Thank you for viewing
    Steve

22. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

here is a photo of a cam and the followers in a radial engine and two pics of the plans I have
    the pics are blocking certain parts because they are copyrighted and are here for just an example.
    these are plans and not cad files so in order to machine these parts in a cnc mill i have to draw them
    exactly to spec and make the g-code from my drawings.
    to start with I need a top down view of each cam with all 8 lobes, intake and exhaust. there is a front and a rear cam so that is 2 drawings like these.
    they will be used to rough away the material from the top down in conventional cnc milling.
    sometimes you can copy a print and trace it into a cad program to get what you need but this will not work from
    these drawings because they are copies of copies and the lobes seem to be hand drawn.
    so I have to draw from measurements.
    the plans have location measurements for every degree of angle and the distance from center for that point including the radius of the Woodruff key seat cutter.
    so I have everything I need to draw these cams.

DSCF1813.JPG DSCF1834.JPG Radial EngineCamshaft and Follower.jpg

23. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

this engine has 9 cylinders per bank front then 9 rear, 18 total
    there are four cam lobes for the front nine cylinders intake and 4 exhaust. that means that each time the crankshaft turns 2 rotations on number one cylinder, the cam is on the next set of lobes for number one cylinder. there are 4 sets of lobes so the engine rotates 8 times before it gets back to the original set of lobes for number 1 cylinder.
    with 2 cams and 18 cylinders the engines fires 9 cylinders every revolution.
    that part has nothing to do with cad or cnc but was just too kewl to not mention
    Steve

24. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I noticed in the directions to mill this part manually that the cam lobes have the same shape on their approach to cam follower as leaving the cam follower. this means that once I have drawn one half of one lobe the reverse side is a copy flipped over and rotated into position.
    that will complete one lobe. I Then copy that completed lobe and rotate it 90 degrees and that the next lobe. i copy the last lobe made and rotate each 90 until all 4 lobes for the circle are done. I then connect each lobe with a line on a 1.5 radius and I have the complete intake cam drawn. the exhaust is done the same with its measurements.
    I tried that first that is the machining path of the 1/2" cutter not the drawing of the part.
    I could use this to cut the part out and it would be right but it is not a cad drawing of the part it is the path the tool needs to follow . For my needs
    when I rough out the part I want to leave .005 clearance by telling D2nc that my .500 cutter is .510. this will leave .005 around the entire part for a finish pass.
    so shorten the lines by .250 because the cutter is a half inch and and then connect the tops of all the lines right. that removes the cutter.
    no, that will draw a lobe but it does not include the tangent of the cutters edge contacting the material as it turns it shows only the y axis point of contact.
    in order to draw the correct shape of the lobe I had to draw all the lines extending out from 0 in 1 degree increments. place a .5 circle on top of each line and intersect the tangent of each circle to the one next to it. delete everything else and the tangents are the true cam lobe and the shape the cutter will leave.
    I hope these pics are in the right order.
    Steve

DSCF1814.JPG DSCF1815.JPG DSCF1816.JPG DSCF1817.JPG DSCF1818.JPG DSCF1820.JPG DSCF1821.JPG DSCF1822.JPG DSCF1823.JPG DSCF1824.JPG DSCF1825.JPG DSCF1829.JPG DSCF1830.JPG DSCF1831.JPG DSCF1832.JPG DSCF1833.JPG

25. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

photo number seven shows 2 circles one red overlapping the first drawing.
    the circles represent the cutter and if you notice in the red circle there is part of the first drawing. that is why i had to use the tangents to draw the lobe.
    the material would not have been removed following the first drawing and did not represent the true cam lobe shape.
    Steve

26. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Once I had the cam profile drawn I made this video to show how I produced the outside contour roughing g-code
    Thanks for viewing
    Steve

JimDawson likes this.
  27. RJSakowski

RJSakowski H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Barneveld
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

For someone who is not an instructor, you do a awesome job! I use SolidWorks now but have used a number of 2D drawing CAD packages in the past including Vellum, AutoSketch, various versions of AutoCAD, and Daftsight. eMachineshop looks as it would be far easier to learn. I will pass on the recommendation to anyone looking for a good CAD package and the recommendation to catch your YouTube videos. Thank you for sharing!

28. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Thank you RJ
    in this video I try to explain how the hand code is written to come in from the side and cut the cam profiles.
    I st-udder and stumble as the squirrel in my head trips over my tongue but I make it through and I hope you can understand what I'm doing.
    the video flickers this time, I just did the video before this one with no problem.
    hopefully you can follow along, these are not easy to record without something going wrong.
    Thanks for viewing
    Steve

29. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I'm on hold on the last project waiting for the materials so I have started a new project for a friend of a friend
    These parts will be for the tail rotor of an RC helicopter.
    I'll try to document everything from start to completion of the machined part itself.
    I make a lot of mistakes and there are changes as I go along but I hope it is helpful for others.
    These are not how to videos but more how I'd do it videos, and suggestions or alternative ideas are always welcome.
    I'm looking for a way to make a video of actually machining the part in fast forward so i can show the entire machining process.
    I had to use the same thumbnail for a couple videos because YouTube was messing with my upload, but they are different in content.
    Steve

30. jumps4

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

In video 36 at 2:45 in I set the depth of cut to .6 for the side view op , that is a mistake. the depth of cut should be around .385. I'll correct in the final g-code but I'm not going to make another video of it.
    Steve