• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
[4]

[CNC] CNC from sketch to part the way I do it

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
I had posted this message in another thread but have copied it here to begin a course on how I get from idea to part at the lowest cost and training.
I have seen posts for some time here looking for how to get from idea to part with the least amount of expense and learning as possible and I have decided to put up a thread with youtube videos showing how I have resolved all these problems myself at the least amount of cost and learning curve. someone will have to show me how to make a sticky.
5 years ago I had never run a machinist tool ever, the closest I had ever come was a brake lathe in the automotive business I'd worked in for 37 years. I had bought a small lathe and mill to play with for small parts. I was lost I didn't have the skills or knowledge to operate the machines with any precision at all. So I got on the internet and spent the better part of a year downloading every free or demo cad software I could find. now I could draw the part but lacked the skill to operate the equipment to achieve any real accuracy. that's how I got into cnc, if I can make the machine do the motion I'd make less mistakes like turning the handle the wrong way.
I'm not a machinist, I'm not a draftsman but now I can and do make parts for machine shops in my area that will take them too long to make manual and I get requests all the time.
for 2.5d work I use
1. emachineshop software, it's FREE, very powerful and user friendly.
the number one reason I use it, is I don't have to type in a location for a line box or circle I just draw it and then in the in the boxes define its size. most cad programs want to know x position y position radius arc ect. before you see anything on the screen. that's too confusing for me I draw it and then define the size. emachineshop has really good help and videos.
2. I use d2nc to convert dxf files to g-code it costs less than $80
it is very powerful also doing pockets, inside outside tool comp, 4th axis wraping and scaling, text, engraving, tabs, ramping and a lot more. everything I have ever needed in a 2.5d part. it does not at this time do islands inside a pocket but I have an easy work around.
I built my cnc machines with the sherlines I first converted with these softwares.
3. mach3 I think it's about .......$179
buy the licence you will get all the wizards, they really help get you started.
It wont come quickly and if there is no interest I wont keep doing it but I will try to make the first video and start the thread in a day or two.
I'm not wanting to go into other softwares or comparisons but just show how I do things for those who are interested with the programs I use.
steve

Last edited:

DAN_IN_MN

Active User
I'll be watching this.

I run a CNN plasma cutter. I use the software provided by the company that made the machine.
I haven't programed a CNC mill or lathe and currently, I don't have access to either one either. Oh, I take that back. I used the "teach" command on an old Lagon mill to trim a production plastic part.

I'd like to make a CNC printer.

I hope this encourages you to keep adding to this thread.

xalky

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
I already just now downloaded EmachineShop to my computer. Awaiting your lessons.:))

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
ok here is the first vid and wow is it of poor quality
I'm a redneck in florida so bear with me i'll do a lot better
the cad program is emachineshop you cant see the heading on the screen
thanks for viewing
steve
[video=youtube;ZPWpDMADgWk]

Last edited:

xalky

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
Great tutorial, Steve! The only problem is that I couldn't see what you were doing on the computer screen. I think I would have learned a lot if it wasn't so much like a radio program.:lmao: I appreciate all the effort your putting into doing this, but if I can't see it, it aint gonna help me much.:lmao:

I hope it's not to much to ask if we could get the video quality up a little bit.

Marcel

PS. I really appreciate this, so don't take it the wrong way.;)

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
thanks marcel
I think I have found what I need to use to record this better but my laptops mic is disabled and now I'm trying to figure out what to do about that??
I'm looking at hypercam and it seems to look perfect if I can get a mic working
using a camera to record the screen stinks focus and glare are a real problem
steve
ps the next video will be configuring emachineshop so your screen looks and saves files the same as mine.

xalky

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
Last edited:

DAN_IN_MN

Active User
thanks marcel
I think I have found what I need to use to record this better but my laptop's mic is disabled and now I'm trying to figure out what to do about that??
I'm looking at hypercam and it seems to look perfect if I can get a mic working
using a camera to record the screen stinks focus and glare are a real problem
steve
ps the next video will be configuring emachineshop so your screen looks and saves files the same as mine.
Steve

Have you gotten the mic problem figured out?

Dan

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
I have made some progress, i have hypercam and the mic working now and here is another video on emachineshop setup. it would have been longer but my grandson came in to help with the vocals on the audio trac lol
a few things to mention about emachine shop is it wants to update its pricing from time to time, thats all it is doing it adds nothing else to your pc in the way of cookies or anything so let it do it so you dont see the popup. if you install it on a pc that is not on the internet and then bring a file you have saved from the internet pc in it will not open it untill you also copy the c:\program files\emachineshop directory to the offline pc. it is looking for the updated pricing files so it can give you an estimated cost of ordering the part from them.
it may seem confusing but i'll show you how to do it
in the lower rt corner of the video you can switch to full screen, press your esc button to return to the normal hobby machinist screen
thanks for your interest
steve
[video=youtube;NTbOOSPuuJM]

Last edited:

chuckorlando

Thats a pretty slick trick to use the inside square to locate the bolt holes. I cant hear the second vid so I will wait till this heater aint singing in my ear to watch. I down loaded the emachine and started playing with it. You sure make it look easy.

Thanks for the series bro

xalky

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
Ok, the video was superb in this one. I think we need to bump up the audio portion. It sounds like your recording in stereo but the your only recording sound to one channel. For these videos, mono would be fine.

I have surround sound on my office computer and i was only getting faint audio out of the right front channel. I could hear it if i turn the volume way up.

When i played in a band , I used to be the guy that did the audio recordings with a Zoom stereo recorder. It was a lot of work just to get the sound right. So, i do have a clue about the challenges your working thru . :thinking:

Last edited:

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
ok I hope this one is better I turned up the mic.
In this vid I draw the parts to mount the motor to convert the x axis of a zx45 to cnc
these measurement's are fake, I just made them up. have you tried to show someone something and everything goes wrong.... well in the video I have a few problems but resolve them so in a sense it is good to see how to recover from problems. below the video is a pic of a mount something like I'm drawing. I stutter, stumble, lisp and screw it up but in the end I get it done.
this mic must be bad it only records one channel
thanks for viewing
steve

[video=youtube;DzmpeNnHsPA]

DSCF0994.JPG DSCF0995.JPG

Last edited:

Rick Leslie

Active User
Thank you for doing this. I am severely CAD challenged. This should help move me along in the right direction. Or any direction...

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
Here is another video, this one goes into the d2nc cam software and then to mach3 with the drawings I have made in the previous video.
If anyone has anything to add, comment on, or critique please do. I'm not an instructor on any of these software's but that is probably why no one is doing this. they think they have to be. I make mistakes and find corrections... I hope this helps get someone else started.
If i'm learning by my mistakes I have to be a genius by now... lol
I get the impression from what I read that quite a few people think they need complete training on their cad, cam and operating software from a college or online course to do this and my point is for me it is easier to learn as I go.
A quote from Einstein I like is something like this " don't waste space in your brain memorizing anything you can look up "
If you have any ideas what to go into next, let me know, if there is none I guess I'm done for now.
thanks for watching
steve

[video=youtube;VXizFzP6rAw]

note: sitting in a quiet room and talking to yourself for an hour is a weird feeling, try making a video.

Last edited:

DAN_IN_MN

Active User
Steve

Nicely done!

What I learned from your video. (I have a 2 year degree in CAD (and still learning) FYI) I draw for a CNC plasma cutter.

The nudge command is adjustable. (I hadn't see the increment amount in the upper right and didn't know how far it was moving. Until I learned this, it was a worthless command.)

I like your using squares and rectangles to locate holes.

I hadn't seen the the degree box for a line.

Using a line to measure with! I searched all over for a measure tool! I think I even tried using HELP! GASP! :rofl:

I know there were a couple more things I picked up that I'm not recalling at the moment.

I installed HyperCam and emachine. I might make a vid or 3..... Time will tell.

Suggestions. (I know there are a million ways to draw and use a program....)

When selecting a command, keep an eye on what follows the command in the list for shortcuts.

Some examples are:

Copy= Ctrl c
Paste= Ctrl v
Cut = Ctrl x
Select all = Ctrl a
Group = Ctrl g
Duplicate = Ctrl d <-- you used

Also on the HyperCam, there are Function keys or F-keys. You can use these so you don't have to bring the program to the front to control it.

There is a free computer helping program out there called TeamViewer. It allows others to watch what someone is doing live on their computer or take over and do work on someone elses computer. Say someone is stuck on a drawing. Arrange a time with someone else and together work out the problem.

I'd give you three thumbs up if I had that many. So, it's a two thumbs up! :LOL:

Keep them coming! We'll learn together!

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
thank you so much Dan for your kind words and encouragement.
having someone who is schooled in cad would make this thread an asset to this site and its members and I hope you can find time to help me. heaven knows I could use it lol
when I'm drawing it isn't to make a set of prints it is to make the cam software easier to use so that's why I will draw the part and then copy and break it down into segments and machine functions. I have drawn all the parts to cnc convert my zx45 mill but for someone else to use them its very difficult to understand . they cant possibly know what I was thinking and what the extra lines and boxes on the page are. most of the time I never draw the part itself I draw the lines I need to machine the part. having someone who can organize things would be more that a small addition here.
I have a hand held remote for my machine but I don't use it for anything except locating positions and zeroing to the material. I have tried to use it to do small operations and I hate standing there holding the button. it is faster and more accurate for me to draw a line box circle or what I need to do. even simple things like face milling, squaring a block, drilling a hole pattern. when I draw the movement instead of typing it into the mach3 mdi window I get to see it before the machine moves. once you have typed in a code wrong in the mdi screen and hit start all you can do is hope you can get it to stop before destroying your material.
thanks again
steve

Last edited:

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
this is the 5th video and it is quite a different type of cad drawing technique for copying or modeling a sketch you may have scanned or a photo to produce a scaled part. youtube is playing with the sound sync in this one but hopefully you can still follow along.
thanks for viewing
steve

[video=youtube;7Lv833rqWf8]

I did this recording on my windows 7 64 bit pc and it was really messing with these programs, you can see it when I try to select objects

Last edited:

Ray C

Staff member
Great stuff, Steve! I really like it and appreciate it. For the last couple days, I haven't been able to watch these and I'm just getting to them today. Great stuff...

Ray

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Good stuff Steve.
A couple quick suggestions:
1) Could you or someone else make a copy of this thread condensing it down to the info parts and make a "Sticky" out of it ??? That would keep it at the top and easy to find.
2) If a sticky can be made, add a link to the original thread to make it easy to find where anyone could get quick access to the remarks and comments.

I hope you have the time and energy to keep it going (I know how taxing grandkids can be !!! LOL).
One thing I would like to see would be "How to make a radius on just one corner of a square and how to adjust it. For an example, I'm trying to draw a receiver for an air rifle. Since a receiver is basically a box with one of the corners having a radius. Making it more difficult, the radius isn't even/ equidistant in relation to the top and side and in some instances, not a smooth arc, but changes in an increasing arc.
I'm not sure if something like this is do-able with emachineshop program or not. I've tried many different ways, but can't seem to get it to work.
I learned a couple things from the videos you've posted so far and will be trying again.
thanks again.

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
One thing I would like to see would be "How to make a radius on just one corner of a square and how to adjust it. For an example, I'm trying to draw a receiver for an air rifle. Since a receiver is basically a box with one of the corners having a radius. Making it more difficult, the radius isn't even/ equidistant in relation to the top and side and in some instances, not a smooth arc, but changes in an increasing arc.
I'm not sure if something like this is do-able with emachineshop program or not. I've tried many different ways, but can't seem to get it to work.
hello mr. pigg
I'd like to try your request. can you sketch what you are looking for freehand with dimensions, scan it and upload to this thread?
it is doable who ever made the original part made a drawing first I'm sure, the challenge is determining how. take a straight on photo of the part and give me 1 exact measurement and I can produce a drawing the way I did in video 5.
I need to find out how to do a sticky, I'll ask Bill Gruby he's done it.
thanks for viewing
steve

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
hello mr. pigg
I'd like to try your request. can you sketch what you are looking for freehand with dimensions, scan it and upload to this thread?
it is doable who ever made the original part made a drawing first I'm sure, the challenge is determining how. take a straight on photo of the part and give me 1 exact measurement and I can produce a drawing the way I did in video 5.
I need to find out how to do a sticky, I'll ask Bill Gruby he's done it.
thanks for viewing
steve
Thanks again Steve & Bill or who ever was the one to make the sticky.
I wish I could do a drawing, but a stick person is about the extent of my artistic ability. That is one of the reasons I've been trying to find a way to learn CAD. I'm much better with a computer than a pencil.
I can't really do a picture either beyond telling you to Google a picture of about any shotgun and look at the arc of the receiver top where it rolls down to attach to the butt stock.
My problem is the inability to make a curved line the intersects with two straight line that are 90 degrees apart in orientation (one in the horizontal & one in the verticle).
Basically, I have an idea in my head and want to draw it up to see if I can make it work. Ideally, I could make CAD drawings of all the parts and then try and combine them to see if it all fits & works together. Wether that is possible to do with a program like emachine shop.com or would require some other software is what I initially started this thread "http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/19440-Online-CAD-CAM-course-info" which, thanks to Marcel (Xalky), led me to your thread here.

Looking forward to any more video posts from you or anyone else who decides to post here.

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
this video shows using a few features of emachineshop including the 3d part of the program.
Jpigg at the end of this video i did a drawing to see I can can try to figure out what you are wanting to draw.
thanks for viewing
steve

[video=youtube;lhN6BfOWrfY]

sample 3d image.jpg

Last edited:

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
This is an example of what can be done with viewing a photograph through emachineshop (and a medical cell measuring program) in trace mode, knowing a few true measurements and scaling the drawings to the needed dimensions. this was my first cnc project and I got into cnc and converted my machines so I could do it. it's a bit long and jumps around because I didn't know how to use the slideshow software. the second video is the model running.
This is the Yulee sugar mill in Crystal river florida. I snuck in the fence and measured a few key points and used photos of the missing parts from steam engines from the same time in other sugar mills.
often here I see questions about making gears so my next video will be about how I made these gears and the involute gear cutters to the correct scale and number of teeth using emachineshop. the gears on my model have the same number of teeth as the original mill and are in scale. I also want to do a video on how I copied a small engine rocker arm support, the drawings required for each cam process and I included pics of it below.
hopefully I can stir up more interest and participation in this thread
thanks for viewing
steve

[video=youtube;3Q6PffnVyOI]

[video=youtube;Y0lB-rBMll8]

55.jpg 66.jpg 77.jpg

Last edited:

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
this is the gear making video
at the end I try to show how to use a mach3 wizard and didnt notice it had switched back from gear to spline mode, also the display in mach3 was not set to show the 4th axis. sorry i dont use win 7 on my machines this mach3 is for running code to test and not set up like my mill... another mistake to add to my education.
so the mach part is just entertaining nothing more lol
in the section where the involute gear cutter profile is displayed I forgot to mention you can set your printer to print at scale then use the actual scale drawing to hand grind a cutter and compare to the print.
what a day this was, I started tring to make this vid at 11am and with computer crashes and going completely down, the buying software to work in windows7 I finished this on video at 12:30pm after 5 takes total today.... I stuck with it.
things will go smother now that i bought software that works well recording these.
thank you for viewing
steve

[video=youtube;GP6YpIG1Kmg]

DIGI0096.JPG DSCF0185.JPG gear cutters.JPG Ring gear 100t.JPG

Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]