Clausing mill power feed

brandon428

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Looking for a Clausing 8520 Mill Power Feed. Model 8635.

I imagine those might be rather scarce. Perhaps you could modify a Bridgeport style power-feed to fit, there are many available, new and used.

I used a Chinese power feed, it was an easy install and gas worked well for me

That certainly seems like the route most people take...

I used a Chinese power feed, it was an easy install and gas worked well for me
Could you send me or post on your imgur photo page some pictures and comments on installing your power feed. What exact model did you use? The original Clausing was mounted on the left, but all retro fits (usually Bridgeport's or clones) are mounted on the right side. Thanks.

That certainly seems like the route most people take...
The chinese power feed drives are functional and affordable. Servo (the power feed drive brand, not the motor type) is a lot smoother and finer at roughly 2x the cost, and is one of the better power feed drives out there. Because of the packaging, I'd stick to storebought options. This is one of those areas where I might not want the savings of buying used against all the unseen stuff that can go wrong invisible to the buyer. In general, Servo drives are expected to serve 20 years or more in a commercial shop environment. I ran a china drive for 3 years as a hobbyist, and it worked, but it's apples and oranges. Also, every part is available by number still from Servo or their distributors.

Could you send me or post on your imgur photo page some pictures and comments on installing your power feed. What exact model did you use? The original Clausing was mounted on the left, but all retro fits (usually Bridgeport's or clones) are mounted on the right side. Thanks.
I am not sure I have a bunch of pics. I didn't put any on imgur, I'll see what I can find.

The chinese power feed drives are functional and affordable. Servo (the power feed drive brand, not the motor type) is a lot smoother and finer at roughly 2x the cost, and is one of the better power feed drives out there. Because of the packaging, I'd stick to storebought options. This is one of those areas where I might not want the savings of buying used against all the unseen stuff that can go wrong invisible to the buyer. In general, Servo drives are expected to serve 20 years or more in a commercial shop environment. I ran a china drive for 3 years as a hobbyist, and it worked, but it's apples and oranges. Also, every part is available by number still from Servo or their distributors.
Not 2x the cost, 3x at least.

and the next post in the thread
post 982

If I find others, I'll post it.

and the next post in the thread
post 982

If I find others, I'll post it.
Thank you. I am trying to find a power feed for the 8530 version, on which the right manual x axis feed was a two speed set-up. By moving the handle in or out, a more rapid manual transverse could be done. Therefore, Clausing made a power feed for the left end, which are rare and have reliability issues any way.

I am hoping to find a way to retrofit an import power feed to the left side of my 8530, but most setups are fitted for a Bridgeport, and then those are for the right side.

Bryan
KB0MEE

Back