Clausing 4914

This is the kind of info I'd be completely without if it weren't for forums like this and people like you. I was checking out an Aloris BXA on ebay. It seems the used BXA's are going cheaper on eBay than the AXA's. I wonder if its simply due to popularity. Given your info I think I'll definitely go with an AXA. I was recently reading elsewhere on this forum that several members are satisfied with Shars Tool. Both on their chucks and their QCTP. I may hold out and see if I can get a second hand Aloris or Dorian but once I get the lathe running, I think there will be a priority to purchase enough tooling to get working.

As far as chucks. I have my eye on a few vintage Cushman chucks. I know these are made in the USA but being older are they worth it? I may do some searching elsewhere to see what other people think about them. The hardest thing is still finding a backplate with the right threads. I can't imagine I'd want my first attempt at a lathe project to be making my own backplate.

I think my highest priorities right now are the VFD, Chuck, and Toolpost/toolholders. But I know I need a few other things. Tool bits, dead center, etc. Where do you guys get those sorts of things? I was thinking of starting out with an indexable carbide set for ease of use without much experience grinding HSS tools. I was also thinking of just ordering all the smaller misc. stuff through the same place to save on shipping. How is Grizzly on that stuff? Is Enco cheaper? I know I could ask this sort of thing in the other forums but you guys have already helped me a lot!

while each small part could be not too expensive (oil cups for example) they do add up, and shipping on them also adds a good chunk of expense... just make sure you calculate for all of those ahead of time.

As for suppliers for tooling. I find Grizzly lacking and more aimed at the lower end occasional user with lower grade toolings (for most - not exlusively) and Enco's website is plain HORRIBLE to try and find anything. so for tooling and what not I like to use other places which I find very friendly, cost effective, and with high quality stuff:
http://www.tools4cheap.net/ is a great place, Jeff is very knowledgeable and friendly and is very responsive A+++
amtools.com has a good selection of back plates (you can always turn down a 6" plate to 5" if they don't have a 5" one) esp. for 4900 owners
http://www.cdcotools.com/ is another good place for quality and cost effective plate for tooling etc. I've gotten good products from them as well.

When I got my first lathe it came with some brazes carbide cutters. I quickly realized that I would much prefer to use HSS and grind my own. if you do woodworking - this should not be new territory for you. but getting a carbide insert toolings would simplify this 'first' step for you I reckon. if you do go that route - get a good set.

-I have bought a ton of stuff from Enco. I like the catalogs they send out as well-they will (or at least used to) send you a large master catalog if you call and ask. I have heard to many bad things about CCDO to even bother trying. Shars and Tools4Cheap seem to have a good reputation but I can personally comment on them.
-My Aloris stuff came from the classifieds on the PM site, but I hear they changed it all and it pretty much sucks now. I have also bought some holders from eBay and a few at the Cabin Fever show in York, PA.
-Luckily my machine came with 2 backplates, One 5" and one 6" 3-jaw chucks, and a 5" jaw. I recently found a new 6" 4-jaw on eBay with the correct backplate for a great price as well. It also came with a good deal of tooling as well.
-Carbide can be tricky, I have had good success with it but others have not-maybe its because I don't know any better? A decent carbide inserted parting tool is a must I think also. I have had to grind some bits however for special projects, you can never eliminate ever having to use HSS.
-My advice: get it home and start working on it...and read a lot! Don't go spending any more money just yet on stuff. I am sure I can help out some to get you started.

I've been thinking about the chuck problem. I think I have a plan. I wanted to eventually have a 5" 3 jaw scroll chuck and a 6" 4 jaw independent chuck. Everything I read suggests half your swing for your 3 jaw and add one inch to that for your 4 jaw. I have no idea why.

Amtools has the 6" backing plate that fits the spindle. It is drilled for 3 mounting bolts. It's also really cheap at $14.99. I'll buy that, then I'll purchase a 6" 4 Jaw independent chuck with a 3 bolt mounting pattern. (haven't decided which brand yet). That way I'll be up and running and I can do a lot of practicing. Once I'm up to speed on things then I'll buy a backing plate blank and machine my own 5" adapter for a 3 jaw chuck.

Does the brand of 4 jaw matter all that much? As far as I see it, the whole point of a 4 jaw is that you can dial your work piece in, much more accurately than a 3 jaw just as a function of how it works. So does the 4 jaw have to be as high quality as the 3 jaw? I'm probably making an excuse to myself to buy something cheaper I just wanted to think it through.

On another note I've started a blog to document this wonderful little project.

http://clausing4914.blogspot.com/

I think that if you are to have only 1 chuck - a 4 jaw independent is by far more versatile than a 3 jaw scroll chuck - not only can you dial in parts better, you can also hold square and odd-shaped parts which you cannot with a 3 jaw chuck.

that said, you'd still need to machine your back plate to fit your 4 jaw chuck (registration and shoulder). but you can be less precise about it (a bit more room for error) since the jaws will be independent anyways (although you should still aim for best tight fit nonetheless). as for the holes - don't worry about it too much, as the pattern might not match between the plate and the chuck, and you'd just need to drill/tap new holes.

you can get an idea how to machine/fit your chuck to a back plate here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/latheparts/page7.html
or here:
http://metalwebnews.org/mr-tools/lathe-chucks.pdf

good luck

Yeah I should mention that I don't plan on buying anything till I get it home and at least turning. Well with the exception of the VFD so it can actually turn! There are a lot of minor expenses with just moving the thing home, trailer rental, cribbing, plywood, lifting straps, shop crane. I want to let me bank account recover a bit from the purchase first before I start buying up all this tooling.

As far as reading, I've been reading up on this stuff for years. I have several books. How to run a lathe, Machine Shop Practice Vol 1, Home Machinist Handbook. Etc... I'm sure a lot of the stuff I've been reading will make a lot more sense with an actual lathe right in front of me though.

Already read the lathes.co.uk stuff on fitting lathe chucks. I love that site. I can spend hours on it just reading about machines.

The other one is new, I'll have to check that one out.

Here's a random question to you guys regarding the overall restoration. Do either of you have a parts washer? Do you think it's worth picking one up to de-grease and clean parts?

Here's a random question to you guys regarding the overall restoration. Do either of you have a parts washer? Do you think it's worth picking one up to de-grease and clean parts?

No, I don't have one-it would sit around to much unused. I did all my cleaning in a small pan with mineral spirits, a brush, and green scotchbrite pads. I removed the paint with lacquer thinner.

No, I don't have one-it would sit around to much unused. I did all my cleaning in a small pan with mineral spirits, a brush, and green scotchbrite pads. I removed the paint with lacquer thinner.

seems like this thread is full of both-sides-of-the-fence responses so here's another one ;) I DO have a small parts washer. I had wanted to get one for a while now and when I bought my lathe decided it was the right time as I used it to clean all the small parts (anything other than the base, motor, and headstock went in it). I used a biodegradable water based solution which is soft and not harmful on the environment and on the skin and was able to wash all the grease off my hands before going to the bathroom and washing it 'properly' (without marring the bathroom with mysterious black spots..... hmmm ... wasn't me...). was it necessary? probably not. but it sure made things easier especially with cleaning the lathe in a shared basement with the laundry and other things that cannot come in contact with anything dirty. I also like restoring old woodworking tools and whatnot which was the original purpose for the parts washer. like Kenny said - it is mostly stored away unused, awaiting the projects that will require it at which point it's handy to have. the ongoing stream of solution really cleans off the parts nicely without having to scrub much, and then you can give an extra 'push' with the brush for some more persistent dirt, and or to speed things up. you can always sell it once you are done with the lathe if you don't have space/need for it. definitely not a necessity though, but 'nice to have'

Your working out of a shed, that should answer your question about needing a parts washer. Save the space for something much more needed.

On your backing plate with the 3 bolt holes & your chuck with 3 holes probably ain't gonna match up.

Back