Chuck stop set

For smaller parts, that would only need one parallel it’s not difficult - place the parallel on two jaws, locate the part, snug up the jaws and remove the parallel. For larger parts that would need two parallels it get more difficult to keep the parallels and part in place while tightening the jaws.
@woodchucker : Found this idea on our "Sister" Forum to the North. These would eliminate the need for the extra hand(s) while allowing removal of the parallels before spinning up.

Magnets on a vise, or chuck are... well ... magnets for chips. OK for non-ferrous, but not ok for ferrous.
Magnets are only on the chuck while setting up the part; the magnets & parallels are then removed prior to turning. Of necessity, all chips are brushed/vacuumed/blown off the chuck prior to setup to insure the parallels are set flush to the chuck face & part.

I did try a few of the suggestions about removing the parallels on a test piece. Seems to work well.what I’m attempting to machine is backing plates out of an automatic transmission. They are machined to thinner thickness in order to fit extra clutches into the clutch pack. I ordered the edge technology set and will post a review for anyone interested. Thanks again for all your help

The Edge and other “spiders” while parallel are not “parallels” which will become projectiles if not removed.
Very true.... sorry, thought that was what you were refering to.... went back and read to discover I missed the convo...

I did try a few of the suggestions about removing the parallels on a test piece. Seems to work well.what I’m attempting to machine is backing plates out of an automatic transmission. They are machined to thinner thickness in order to fit extra clutches into the clutch pack. I ordered the edge technology set and will post a review for anyone interested. Thanks again for all your help
I really like them...

Back