Chuck stop set

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hello all, I am in need of a chuck stop set for machining round flat discs. Just wanted to see if anyone has used anything that’s on the market such as edge technologies set

Can you explain farther on what you're doing ?

Are you talking about this?

I have one, and use it pretty frequently. It's great with thin stuff. Sure beats holding parallels under the part by hand. :)

I do wish it was easier to swap heights. It's not difficult per se, but it is a bit on the time consuming side. Thankfully, I don't find myself needing to change it that often, I can usually make things work with one of a few sets of parallels.

All too easy for parallels to come loose and fly out at you or get jammed up as the come loose, definitely not a safe thing to do.

All too easy for parallels to come loose and fly out at you or get jammed up as the come loose, definitely not a safe thing to do.
You remove the parallel(s) after the part is secured in the chuck jaws. The advantage of the magnetic stops is that you don’t need three hands.

If I’m understanding correctly these used to be called chuck spiders, at least that’s what I knew them as. Easy enough to make — I made one for the 3-jaw and one for the 4-jaw. On mine there is a set screw between each of the slots so you can dial it in in the event your chuck face isn’t true. Or maybe I’m misunderstanding the purpose?

This isn’t mine, just a screen grab to show the design…

IMG_2764.png

If I’m understanding correctly these used to be called chuck spiders, at least that’s what I knew them as. Easy enough to make — I made one for the 3-jaw and one for the 4-jaw. On mine there is a set screw between each of the slots so you can dial it in in the event your chuck face isn’t true. Or maybe I’m misunderstanding the purpose?

This isn’t mine, just a screen grab to show the design…

View attachment 480751
thats like mine. I have 2, one thicker than the other. I call it a spider. I just face it every once in a while, mine are beat up, and I have a new chuck coming , so will have to make new ones. I don't understand @ChazzC 's need for 3 hands, I've never found it difficult on a 3 jaw.

I try to stay away from Magnetic stuff that remains on the lathe or mill. I just don't like the swarf being attracted. Especially rare earth magnets which can't be cleaned easily. Indicator mags are sought of ok.

I've often used parallels in the chuck **for setup only** then knocked them out prior to actually starting the spindle. Not as secure as a spider, but it works in many cases. If I were doing something truly thin I'd probably want a spider, but I usually find another way (different order of operations, parting off, gluing the piece to a mandrel, etc).

GsT

Back