Chuck stop set

Yes, the spider is exactly what I’m referring to. Been looking at the set from edge technologies and the set from OTMT and another from ROYAl. Just wanted some input on them before making the purchase. I’m sure I could make them but for what they run I’d probably be better off just buying the set. Thanks to everyone chiming in

I made my own from a piece of 1/4 aluminum plate.. It is adjustable for depth as well as parallelism to the chuck face via 3 10-32 screws. The screws can be used from the front or the back, depending on your particular setup. Lock nuts lock the screws in position once adjustments are made.

Chuck Spider .JPG

I made my own from a piece of 1/4 aluminum plate.. It is adjustable for depth as well as parallelism to the chuck face via 3 10-32 screws. The screws can be used from the front or the back, depending on your particular setup. Lock nuts lock the screws in position once adjustments are made.

View attachment 480795
That’s a cool design. I may do something like taht

I don't understand @ChazzC 's need for 3 hands, I've never found it difficult on a 3 jaw.

For smaller parts, that would only need one parallel it’s not difficult - place the parallel on two jaws, locate the part, snug up the jaws and remove the parallel. For larger parts that would need two parallels it get more difficult to keep the parallels and part in place while tightening the jaws.

Are you talking about this?

I have one, and use it pretty frequently. It's great with thin stuff. Sure beats holding parallels under the part by hand. :)

I do wish it was easier to swap heights. It's not difficult per se, but it is a bit on the time consuming side. Thankfully, I don't find myself needing to change it that often, I can usually make things work with one of a few sets of parallels.
I have that set as well. Only complain I have is it doesn't work well with a 4 jaw, other wise its very good....

You remove the parallel(s) after the part is secured in the chuck jaws. The advantage of the magnetic stops is that you don’t need three hands.
You do not remove the edge technology parallels...
Chuck Stop Spider.jpg

Chuck Stop Spiders.jpeg

There’s at least one 3D printable one on Thingiverse. It fit my 5” 3 jaw perfectly.

The Edge and other “spiders” while parallel are not “parallels” which will become projectiles if not removed.
I don't think you can remove them once you put them in the chuck and put a piece on top of them.
I'm not sure they will become projectiles. Do the instructions say to remove them?

I don't think you can remove them once you put them in the chuck and put a piece on top of them.
I'm not sure they will become projectiles. Do the instructions say to remove them?
I guess I'm not being clear: I agree that spiders are confined and will not fly out from the chuck. When I say parallels, I mean flat hardened steel bars that are ground in pairs and used to space parts out from the face of a chuck (or vise when used in a mill vise); these will exit from the chuck when the chuck spins up.

Back