Chuck plus live center? Also a pic of my Sherline

The only problem that I have ever experienced when using rollers in a steady/follow rest is keeping the chips out. Solid fingers do not let the chips in, rollers eat them. I had a rather large chip get between the rollers and the part on a 24 x 96 lathe, it broke the casting on the upper half of the steady and ruined the part as well. Since then, 1993 or so, I put a cardboard or whatever material is handy chip guard between the steady/follow rest and the tool. I often rough large lathe parts at .125-.200 DOC so the chips are substantial, yet a small chip will ruin your day.

I can not stress this enough, do not let chips get between the roller bearings and part in a steady rest.
Thank you.

Nice handle. If I can ever get some pictures I will show you a couple of items I made for the wife (she paid for my 4400 lathe) Thus I have to make things for her as well. She does some fancy hand made lace and I made her some bobbins out of Alum. Problem is I have not figured out how to use a follower or a steady rest to help on it since it is so varied in size. I will try to get some pics and post them. I have broken more of them than I have gotten done.

kvt

Nice! I use a Merkur 38C razor, with Feather blades. Heavy, long-handled (better control), and stable. The feather blades are so sharp as to defy description, and the result is a baby-butt smooth shave, despite my unreasonably heavy facial hair. I shave my head, usually with one of the wife's Soleil razors (hey, don't laugh until you've tried it! They work awesome!), followed with a cleanup with the Merkur and a once-used-on-the-face Feather blade (to take the edge off, less nicks).

I'd love to see a razor handle from 3/8" stainless, about 3.5-4" long, with knurls in sections. Something heavy and hefty, with plenty of grip and substance to keep ahold of for shaving the head. That takes more control than shaving the face....

I'd love to get into straight razor shaving, but last time I tried it, I cut a 3" fishbelly in my cheek. I'm a bit leery of straight razors now....

Let's see more!

Nice handle. If I can ever get some pictures I will show you a couple of items I made for the wife (she paid for my 4400 lathe) Thus I have to make things for her as well. She does some fancy hand made lace and I made her some bobbins out of Alum. Problem is I have not figured out how to use a follower or a steady rest to help on it since it is so varied in size. I will try to get some pics and post them. I have broken more of them than I have gotten done.

kvt
Post them up, I want to see

Nice! I use a Merkur 38C razor, with Feather blades. Heavy, long-handled (better control), and stable. The feather blades are so sharp as to defy description, and the result is a baby-butt smooth shave, despite my unreasonably heavy facial hair. I shave my head, usually with one of the wife's Soleil razors (hey, don't laugh until you've tried it! They work awesome!), followed with a cleanup with the Merkur and a once-used-on-the-face Feather blade (to take the edge off, less nicks).

I'd love to see a razor handle from 3/8" stainless, about 3.5-4" long, with knurls in sections. Something heavy and hefty, with plenty of grip and substance to keep ahold of for shaving the head. That takes more control than shaving the face....

I'd love to get into straight razor shaving, but last time I tried it, I cut a 3" fishbelly in my cheek. I'm a bit leery of straight razors now....

Let's see more!
I have been collecting vintage razors for years. I typically shave with a double edge these days, usually a Weber or Ikon.

I'll post up more later. Thanks

Bobbins.jpg
They are about 7 inch line and the thin area is .090,
made from .25 6061 alum
I have normally been breaking them while trying to get the small area turned down to the .090 it is like it flexes just enough to break before you get there, even with me taking less than .001 each pass
kvt

Bobbins.jpg

Those look pretty tough to make in aluminum. Can you use a different metal?

Yea, In fact I am thinking of trying to make her some out of steal, But not sure about them rusting, The other option is to blue the steal to help a little, or use stainless but from what I have heard stainless is that it is worse to machine than the other stuff. Although it prob would not crack and break like the alum. One thing that did that helped on the last one is I hand made a tool holder and then used some tool steal drill rod and made a few new small tools. They seem to help but could still see the flex in the alum while turning it.
but if I don't do something for her she will not help pay for things for me to play with any more (take my money and spend on something else) so I will try to do some things for her, Problem is to make a set I have to make 10 to 20 of them, so I will keep trying.
When I did machine work over 30 years ago it was all large stuff like head work on V8s, and cranks, cams etc. This small stuff seems more difficult than that ever did. Of course I was a lot younger then.
KVT

303 stainless is supposed to be OK for the mini lathes. I'm looking to pick some up myself for razor handles.

Back